"Thank you both," Stewart chuckled, cheering up a little as he placed the clean mug down and straightened his slouched posture.

He glanced over Joel, raising an eyebrow curiously before parting his lips to speak again.

"You haven't finished your coffee already, have you?"

"Nah," the boy shook his head and rested against the wooden surface of the counter, leaning towards Hazel and taking in her movements and reactions. He was hoping to get a better read on her just like she wanted a better read on him. "I was wondering how you were able to get an apprenticeship. Like, is it hard to do? Is it good? How does it work?"

Stewart sighed, shaking his head at the blonde-haired boy who was covered in new doodles. There were some small flowers, random eyes with intricate detail and a few notes scattered to remind him of things to do through the day like 'pick up second piece' and 'tell Ryan he sucks again'.

"She gets good grades," Stewart explained for Hazel, helping her to wash away the suspicion that might have followed if she tried to explain. "But it's a lot of work, isn't it, Robin?"

She nodded quickly before he continued.

"If you want an apprenticeship, you need to be able to keep up with studies and the work set at both the place you work and at school."

"That sounds difficult." Joel sighed, twisting his face. "I couldn't do that. I'm not able to keep my grades up as it is."

"That's because you skip school."

The pair continued to speak while Hazel turned her attention towards the table behind them where Joel's friends sat with glaring eyes, watching her with caution and distaste. It was like they were trying to find out every detail about her in only stony eyed glares. Unable to maintain focus on them, she attempted to wash away the feeling of eyes on her and instead watched Joel and Stewart speak.

They were both careless, unthinking of how they seemed to be displayed to each other. Joel didn't seem to have the usual hesitance you see in young people who talk to somebody older than they are, he showed no sign of discomfort and it was clear that Stewart knew the group well, well enough to get them out of serious trouble. Joel's eyes were bright, full of life but beneath them were the subtle bags from early mornings and late nights. His smile was wide and toothy but tired, falling quicker than most after jokes and his voice, as warm and kind as it was, was naturally louder than average. Maybe he was a brother to several siblings, used to having to yell out for attention over others, or perhaps there were other reasons he was loud and calling for attention without realising.

A squeak was heard as somebody stepped into the building, their steps subtle but noticeable to Hazel's ears as she crouched down, searching her bag for her notebook so she could make any important notes she needed. The footsteps she heard were uneven and one was heavier than the other, but behind them was another pair, softer and subtle as she realised that the one person was two. It wasn't difficult to guess that they belonged to Ryan and Leo, the two missing members of the group of five who managed to fill the cafe with more life.

They were never apart for long and she imagined that if one of them was involved in what happened to Jason Barber, they all would know about it. There was no harm in investigating each of them for that reason alone and she kept in mind that she would have to do some digging on them later.

"Ryan," Joel turned as Hazel pulled herself up from behind the counter, her chunky notebook in hand, "you're limping."

"Really? I never noticed," Ryan retorted as sarcasm dripped from his tongue without warning like a second language he wanted to forget.