CHAPTER 11

11—Renleigh Kensington

One thing I never understood was when people came up to me and asked if they could get a picture. Without sounding like a narcissistic person, I always dreaded going out in public in case someone recognises me and decides to come up to me. Not because I couldn't communicate with people or because I wanted to be left alone. It was mostly because I had no idea how to deal with the situation. I didn't see why people wanted a picture with me.

So, one time, I decided to ask.

And the response I got was not something I particularly expected.

• • •

"Can I ask you a question really quickly?" I decided to ask as I built up the courage. Or more like, my curious side poked through me.

"Oh my—yes, please. What is it?" the girl smiled as she put her phone in the back pocket of her jeans.

"This might sound really weird but what was it that made you come up to me and ask for a picture?"

She chuckled and without hesitating, she replied.

"Honestly, it's everything about you. You are kind of a big deal, you know? You are so many of the girls' inspiration that I know and I can't lie, I never understood them. I was never really a fashion person, to be honest," she giggled and I nodded along as I listened carefully. "But anyways. One day I was bored and so I just went on Instagram and flicked through your account. First of all, if I haven't already said this a million times since I came up to you, you are absolutely stunning. So, naturally, I followed you 'cos who am I to not have someone like you on my feed, right?" she chuckled.

"Right," I responded, joking to make her feel more at ease. Her cheeks became slightly redder so I could tell she was feeling embarrassed about her rambling. I was the same so I wanted to make sure she was fine if I managed to put her on the spot like that.

"And then I just wandered onto your website and looked through your work, which is very impressive, I must say. A bit out of my budget but they are still amazing pieces," she joked and I smiled. "Then, as one would, I did a Google search on you which led me to your interviews and your speeches at shows and award shows, a compilation of all that you do for others, things like that. I just think you're pretty cool, you know? To be so young and so successful and down to earth, I think it's definitely admirable. You work so hard and you keep to yourself. Your success is yours and no one else's. You support others and encourage them to do what they want, to stand by what they believe in and to not stop until they achieve everything they want in life. It's a bit cheesy when I say it all out loud, I guess, but yeah... you're quite the idol for so many. And, I'm sure you get this quite a lot, but teachers love using real life examples and just this week, I heard your name at least five times. So, I guess the reason why I came up to you was because I was quite starstruck and also curious to see if you were anything like you are said to be."

"Wow... shit, that wasn't an answer I thought I would get."

"Good or bad, though?" she questioned.

"Definitely good, I'd say. And, thank you," I smiled. "I do try my best to... to do my work for me and for what it's worth, you know? I guess you really can't let anyone stop you from doing what you want to do and you definitely cannot stop until you achieved everything. It's why we're here, right?"

"Yeah, I agree," she hummed. "Oh, and by the way, you and Harry look so cute together! I can't wait for your baby to be born—she'll be the cutest ever."