[Chapter 1] Realization

~3 years ago when Midoriya was 12~

I was walking alone on the streets. Maybe Bakugou was right? I am just a worthless Deku. I can never be a hero. Especially with a quirk like mine. Well, with two quirks like mine.

An audible sigh left my lips as I remembered what Kaachan said to me, "Go take a swan dive off the roof and pray you get a better quirk in your next life."

I made it to the sketchiest part of my walk. A tunnel filled with graffiti from head to toe. Many horrible things have happened here. At least, that's the vibe this place gave off. 

"Ohh, look what we have here. You'll be a perfect body to possess."

I looked around frantically for the grainy voice. Suddenly, a giant mass of green goo emerged from the drain to my left. I couldn't breathe as the goo went into my mouth; flowing down my throat and blocking my airway. 

I writhed and clawed, trying to get the goo away from me so I could breathe. However, my hands were just simply going right through him.

"Just relax, in about 20 seconds you won't have to worry about anything anymore," the smug goo villain cooed sadistically. 

My lungs were about to explode when I heard, "DO NOT FEAR, I AM HERE!" 

I recognized the voice as All Might. Silently, I prayed he would save me. I'm not ready to leave this world, not yet.

I was close to losing consciousness when I heard, "DALLAS SMASH!"

Suddenly I was knocked from the villain's clutches and into a wall. I watched, slightly dizzy, as All Might scooped the villain up in a bottle ad walked over to me. 

"Are you okay boy?" All Might asked me.

"Y-yes, t-t-thank you, A-all Might," I stuttered, still trying to catch my breath. 

"No problem kid. Well, I must get going."

"W-wait! I have some questions to ask you!" I tried getting his attention but he was already preparing to jump into the air.

With a split second to spare, I clung to his leg as we shot into the air.

His face contorted as he noticed I was hanging on his leg, screaming my heart out. He tried to get me off but I quickly shouted, "Don't let me go, if I fall from up here I'll die!"

"Ah, that's true," All Might agreed.

He set down on a building and I got off of his leg.

He turned to face the railing, his smile bright. "Young boy, I must be going. I have to turn this villain in." He was about to leave when I sputtered out, "Wait!"

He hesitated slightly, now's my chance.

"Canaquirklesskidbecomeahero?"

"I'm sorry, repeat, slowly please."

I took a breath to steady my racing heart. No, I wasn't quirkless, but with my quirks, it's better if I never used them. I would be cast out from society, for something I couldn't control.

"C-can a quirkless kid become a hero?" I asked slowly.

His smile faltered.

"You can not become a hero if you're quirkless. I'm sorry kid, you're better off staying out of the way and becoming a police officer or something. You might get in the way."

I started crying internally. 

He stared into the distance and without warning, he jumped into the sky. Leaving me, defenseless, broken, crying.

'You stupid Deku, go take a swan dive off the roof and pray you get a better quirk in your next life.'

Like I would give you the satisfaction Bakugou... Kaachan. 

I stared silently at the floor. Thoughts from multiple people started floating around in my mind.

Useless

Worthless

Deku

Stupid

Take a swan dive off the roof

You'll never be a hero

You'll just get in the way

You're better off being some menial person, like a police officer

Out of all the voices in my head... my moms was the loudest.

YOU STUPID BITCH! 

YOU DROVE YOUR FATHER AWAY!

I HATE YOU!

YOU'LL NEVER BE A HERO!

YOU MIGHT AS WELL JOIN YOUR FATHER IN HELL!

On that day. My heart shattered. Torn down by my childhood friend, my mother, and the number 1 pro hero. 

A broken heart can never be pieced back together, so I left that building. Along with all of my emotions. Cast away like a thief into a prison. Forgotten, useless, unimportant. So I did the only logical thing I could think of. I built an impenetrable wall in my mind, never again was I going to be hurt by those who never cared. 

If I can't save lives as a hero. Then I'll have to find another way. 

Sometimes, you have to walk the thin grey line. 

And so, from that day forward, I made two promises.

1. Never again was I going to let someone else into my heart

and 

2. If I can't be a hero, I'll save lives another way, as a vigilante.

And this was how The Black Rabbit was made.

~~~

A/N-Hey GUYS! I know this is super short, only about 900 words, but this is more of a background chapter/prologue. I promise all of my chapters will be 1000+ but I just wanted this to kind of be an introduction. Also, yes, Midoriya's mom is still Inko, but no, his dad is not Hisashi. You'll find out more later. Anyways, I love you guys!!! Thanks so much for reading this far. I'm super excited about this book, and I hope you are too.