Chapter 22

"Benny?"

Oh, how he missed Oh how he missed your voice.

"Hey love." He started, smiling as big as he possibly could. "How you been?" He asked, pulling the phone cord as far as he could so he could sit on one of the comfier chairs in the living room.

"I've been good actually. What about you, what's been up back there?" Your voice seemed a bit lower than normal, and he figured he'd bring it up since he was curious.

"It's been alright. Not a lot of new stuff, but it's just been kinda boring without you." He spoke sincerely. "And hey, why does your voice sound so deep? Is it just the phone?"

"No, I uh... I've been out late at night the past few days. Made some new friends. It's probably just the night air." You replied. He nodded even though you couldn't see him. Another question sparked his mind, but you seemed to wanna ask him something, so he held back for a minute.

"So uh, the new guy... Scott Smalls? The boys said he wasn't that great, are you teaching him?"

He figured Smalls would come up at least once in the conversation, but not so soon.

"Yeah, I'm teaching him. He's doing a lot better than he was when he first got here. Still needs some work but maybe if you're back by the end of the summer you can help." He chuckled, twirling the phone cord in his hand as he talked. He was so nervous to talk to you, and yet when he did it felt so natural like it was before.

"Yeah, I should be there. Maybe even sooner. My therapist thinks that I'm almost done with my extensive treatment. She said something about how fast I went through all the material. If my mom says yes maybe we can move back before August." You ranted. Benny couldn't be more happy to hear you go on and on about something.

"That's great! You know the house next to mine just went up for sale, maybe you could move next door. It would make it a lot easier for me to get to your room at night, I could probably just jump from window to window."

"I'll tell my mom about it. Maybe it can be an early birthday present." You paused, but continued a moment later. "Speaking of birthday, what do you want this year?"

"You don't have to get me anything." He smirked, knowing you probably would buy him something regardless.

"Oh, come on, I can get you something if I want to."

"Well, I'd be lying if I said I didn't already think of one for you." He responded, thinking about gift he had sitting in his top drawer.

"Then how's it fair to say I can't get you something?" You asked in a rowdy tone, trying to prove your point.

"I didn't technically tell you that you couldn't, I just said you don't have to." He corrected. He was still smiling wider than a child on Christmas morning while talking to you.

"You never answered me. What do you want for your birthday?" You pressed on to him. He knew exactly what he wanted, but it might not be attainable.

"Can I have you? Or is that too much to ask?" He chuckled, blushing from the other end of the call. Though you couldn't see him, you knew there was sure to be pink on his cheeks.

"I'll do my best." You replied sheepishly, smirking to yourself at the thought. "Hypothetically, if I could make it for your birthday, what would you want?"

He laughed lightly, rolling his eyes at your persistence. "Well I don't know if I should say it."

"Why not? It's not like it-" you cut yourself off in realization. "Oh."

Your cheeks were now redder than a tomato and you couldn't help but hide your face, though no one could see it anyways.

"Mack I'm sorry, I know you're not-"