Chapter 17

Benny had left and gone straight to the school cafeteria, slamming the doors open when he came in. He gained the attention of everyone in the room, walking in there like he owned the place. Confidence. He had confidence.

He stopped in front of a large table, where most of the cheerleaders, and other popular girls sat. He crossed his arms, looking down at three girls in particular, who were now staring back up at him like he was a problem. He had every right to be here and he was about to say why.

Of course, Rebecca still acted like she didn't know why he was here, giving him the stank eye.

"Can I help you, Rodriguez?" She asked with an annoyed tone. Benny was about to come unhinged, and if he didn't watch himself, he might get into some real trouble.

"Yeah, I think you can. You wanna tell me why you said those things about my girl?" He said aggressively. By now, the whole entire lunchroom, full of students was just watching as this dramatic event unfolded.

"I have not the slightest idea of what you're talking about." She replied, going back to the conversation she was having with her friend Cora.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about. Why would you do that to her? She's never done anything to you." He began his argument, trying to see if he even had a chance at taking this girl down.

"I didn't say anything wrong. I just gave her some good advice. She's never going to be one of us, so she shouldn't even try. It's just a waste of time." She seemed like she actually thought that what she did wasn't bad. Benny of course, wasn't exactly planning on stopping this fight until he had taken care of things.

"You know, you're right. She's never going to be like you." He paused, waiting to see the reaction on Rebecca's face. She held her nose high in the air and smirked, as if she had won. She had no idea what was about to happen. "She will always be better than you. Always. You know why?"

Rebecca looked disgusted by his words, as if he'd offended her by saying that the tomboy was better than her.

She shook her head instead of answering, seeming to be at a loss for words from his last statement.

"It's because she's kind. She's kind, and encouraging, and beautiful beyond words. You will never measure up to her. None of you will." He shot this last remark to her friends who were sitting beside her. He knew they were in on it; he could tell.

"Benny, you say these things. You don't even understand why I do what I do."

Benny had to think for a moment. He knew what she had just said had something to do with their past. It took him a second, but his brain lit up, and something clicked. He understood what she meant.

"It's because of me, isn't it?" He asked, remembering a certain exchange between the two of them the year prior.

"What do you mean?" She acted like it was a stupid question, but she was about to get exposed, so who's the stupid one now?

"Because when you asked me out last year, I rejected you." He tilted his head to the side, showing her how he still remembered that awkward day.

Everyone in the lunchroom was making crazy noises at the last remark that Benny gave. He called her out, and now her face was red with embarrassment.

"I rejected you, and you got mad. Now instead of you letting it go, because it was stupid, you choose to go and bully my girlfriend. You're obviously jealous of her, just admit it."

"I will not admit something so horribly wrong. I have my own boyfriend now, what is there to be jealous of?" She gestured to the handsome football player that sat on the other side of the table with her.