Chapter 22 Part 2

A few days later, Tian Dahua brought back good tidings: "The loan has been approved!"

Lin Jingzhe was especially careful to always maintain his composure in front of Tian Dahua. At this moment, he was leisurely brewing tea and merely smiled in response to hearing the news.

He offered the broker a small cup of crystal clear tea. "Try it?"

Seeing his complete lack of concern over the loan process, Tian Dahua felt ashamed of his own excitement. He hurriedly took a sip of tea.

"Ah!" he exclaimed as he began to praise, "Such a tasty tea! This pu'er must be from a particularly good year—I'm afraid the price must be equally amazing!"

His grandfather had a weakness for tea. Lin Jingzhe deliberately brought one compressed tea cake to reinforce his "well-bred" persona. Therefore, he just gave a faint smile. "It's not easy to acquire good tea; it should be appreciated. Talking about the price is vulgar."

Tian Dahua was at a loss for a second before he let out a laugh, "Ha ha, indeed! Talking about the price is vulgar!"

His smile was so wide it almost split his face in two, but inwardly, he couldn't help complaining, 'Talking about the price is vulgar?' You can only say this because you're swimming in money, young master!

However, since he was unclear about Lin Jingzhe's background, he would never say this out loud. His face returned to a more natural expression and he commented, "Mr. Lin, most people I know who are your age like to drink red wine and such. It's really unexpected that you'd be fond of tea."

It's because alcohol is too expensive. Lin Jingzhe lowered his gaze and replied, "An elder at home likes it. I guess I was influenced by him."

An elder? Probably the patriarch of the family, Tian Dahua noted in his mind. His eyes swept over the seemingly ordinary tea set on the table. "Then, since Mr. Lin enjoys tea so much, I'll look out for tea sets—maybe I'll be able to find a good one for you!"

"No need, I've never been particular about tea sets." Lin Jingzhe waved a hand, dismissive. "When drinking tea, one should focus on the tea, not what is holding the tea."

Actually, he was just spouting bulls.h.i.t—the truth was that good tea sets were too expensive. He didn't have much money now and needed to count every penny, what kind of tea set could he buy? His grandfather had several nice ones but he didn't dare take them with him, for fear of breaking them during the long and arduous journey.

Nonetheless, Tian Dahua was obviously fooled, and stared blankly for a moment, stunned. Lin Jingzhe smiled and poured him another cup of tea.

The broker cautiously held the cup, slowly sipping from it. After hearing Lin Jingzhe's words, he felt that the tea in his mouth seemed extraordinarily flavorful.

On the small clay stove, the mineral water in the copper pot boiled, creating steam that made the pot lid rattle melodiously. As Lin Jingzhe brewed tea, he chatted with Tian Dahua, discussing recent international news, including some local developments. Then, he clicked his tongue as if something had suddenly occurred to him—

"Mr. Tian," he said, "I just remembered that Shen City Stock Exchange is going to open soon, right?"

"Yes," Tian Dahua answered promptly. "Are you interested in stocks, Mr. Lin?"

"Oh, I've traded some stocks here and there. You're a very resourceful person, Mr. Tian—perhaps you'll be able to get me in?"

Tian Dahua smiled. "It's not that there isn't a way, but... Mr. Lin, we're friends already, so let me give you some friendly advice: I suggest you wait and see. The exchange hasn't opened yet and n.o.body knows what its prospects are. The stock market crash a few years ago is still fresh in my mind."