Chapter 27

Tian Dahua felt like he was flying. He had never expected that Lin Jingzhe would actually come.

His heart, which had been beating fast ever since he received Lin Jingzhe's first phone call, sped up until it was pounding. He shook Lin Jingzhe's hand a few times, so excited he was unable to speak; it took him a long moment before he returned to his senses and stepped aside. "Ah, this won't do. The airport is full of people, it's not a place to talk. You just got off the plane, Mr. Lin, you must be tired. Please come this way—I booked a hotel for you, let's go there first so you can rest."

Tian Dahua splurged—the car he had prepared was a luxury version. In the early nineties, there weren't many car models available in China; Tian Dahua had rented one that ranked close to the top of the pyramid.

Tian Dahua personally closed the car door for Lin Jingzhe and placed his luggage in the trunk. When the friend who had tagged along saw his eagerness, he reached out to grab his arm. "Old Tian, are you sure this is the right person? You dragged us to the airport to wait for some big shot for over two hours, and that's the one who came? Isn't this just some kid? Why would you..."

"Shut up!" Tian Dahua snapped at him. "Are you an idiot? Don't speak if you don't know what you're talking about! 'Just some kid,' really, your eyes must just be there for decoration..."

After entering the suite on the top level of the Garden Hotel which had been booked by Tian Dahua, Lin Jingzhe strolled to the half-open window to look out at the park below.

This hotel, which had opened only a few months prior, would have an outstanding reputation in the future. From the treatment he enjoyed since exiting the plane, Lin Jingzhe could sense Tian Dahua's sincerity. He accepted the cup of tea the man hurriedly prepared, and cradled it in his palm.

Smiling, Tian Dahua watched him drink the tea. "You haven't visited Shen City for nearly two months, Mr. Lin—now that you're finally back, I must do my best to perform the duties of a host. I've booked tables in the hotel's Cantonese restaurant and the most famous club in our city..."

"Mr. Tian," Lin Jingzhe interrupted him with a smile. "Thank you for taking so much trouble, but while I will certainly have dinner with you, let's put off the club until next time—I have to return to Yan City soon."

"Oh, that's a pity." Tian Dahua naturally agreed—how could he dare to disagree? As he watched Lin Jingzhe look out of the window for a while, then saunter back to the sofa and leisurely sip his tea, his heart burned with anxiety. He gritted his teeth and began, "Mr. Lin, the stock we talked about..."

"Oh, right!" Lin Jingzhe put on an expression as if he had just remembered. He didn't make a move to rise from the sofa, and only replied unconcernedly, "Why are you so worried? Isn't that why I came here?"

Tian Dahua sat opposite him. Though he didn't dare urge him, he felt as if a fire was burning under his buttocks, making it hard for him to sit still. Every time he faced Lin Jingzhe, he had the illusion of looking into a deep lake or an unfathomable abyss. Though he was older and more experienced, he knew that the higher one stood, the scarier it was when one could not see the ground anymore.

Lin Jingzhe looked at him, then sighed and leaned against the back of the sofa. "Mr. Tian, this mindset won't do. If you act like this, then you're already out of the game."

Tian Dahua wiped the sweat on his forehead. He realized that his thoughts were no secret to Lin Jingzhe and said, a little embarrassed, "Please make allowances for me, Mr. Lin. You can see how Shen City's stock market is right now—time is literally money! Every second that passes with me out of the market, is a second where others are making money that I could be earning."