Chapter 10

Elder Fang arrived in Qunnan Province with only a few people accompanying him. Except for his students, he didn't notify anyone.

He had plenty of reasons, such as the panic that would ensue in Qunnan's business circles if his unexpected visit was known.

People's standpoints, opinions, and attitudes were not all the same. Zheng Cunzhi and his compatriots in the same faction were willing to drive to the airport late at night to wait for his arrival, but not everyone was like them.

Fatigued by the journey, the guests took the rest of the night off. The next day, in a VIP suite of Qunnan Hotel, an emergency "student-teacher meeting" was held.

Elder Fang let out a puff of cigarette smoke and shook his head. "The situation in Qunnan Province is quite a mess, you know?"

Mr. Zheng, who usually presented an imposing, dignified image, at the moment looked humble and deferential. He heaved a sigh. "Indeed. Our younger generation was supposed to take over and lead the charge, and yet..."

Last month, at Sotheby's annual auction in Hong Kong, a new record for the price of antiques was made. The vermilion and gold-decorated 'Qianlong' long-necked vase from Qing dynasty, which was auctioned, had the same value as the "national treasures" carefully guarded by the National Museum. It was the treasure of the Chinese nation, and yet it ended up in the hands of a French antique dealer.

According to reliable reports, the source of this priceless antique was mainland China.

And it wasn't just a single case. In recent years, the rapid economic development of the country had spawned countless smugglers willing to take risks for profits. They all had their unique tactics and tricks, but usually, they used sea transport. As such, Qunnan Province with a large number of coastal cities was among the highest statistics of smuggling incidents.

Countless treasure-carrying ships left their native land and headed overseas. However, every time the government tried to catch the smugglers, they came away empty-handed.

Once a phenomenon reached such a level, like a big, sturdy tree, nothing short of a hurricane could uproot it."How is it your fault? In his work 'Capital,' Mr. Marx said: 'With adequate profit, capital is very bold. A certain 10 percent will ensure its employment anywhere; 20 percent certain will produce eagerness; 50 percent, positive audacity; 100 percent will make it ready to trample on all human laws; 300 percent, and there is not a crime at which it will scruple, nor a risk it will not run, even at the chance of its owner being hanged.' And stealing cultural relics would ensure far more than 300 percent profit." Well aware of his student's difficulties, Elder Fang shook his head. "Cunzhi, people in government positions often have their hands tied."

Grave, he continued, "So you understand how great propaganda value this donation of antiques will have for our plan to fight smuggling. For this reason, I'll leave for Liyun Town as soon as possible, and check their authenticity. Remember, you must not act until you hear from me."

Mr. Zheng immediately straightened and replied, "I know. Rest assured, there will be no leaks."

Elder Fang nodded and leaned back on the sofa. "There's one more thing, Cunzi. I heard after your old leader was transferred, a new one was never appointed?"

Mr. Zheng was somewhat embarrassed: "Yes, his position has been vacant for over a month now."

At the moment, he was performing his former leader's duties, as it was different from his current position by only one syllable in the title. However, many people in the province were eyeing the empty position and stirred up various waves. Facing competition from multiple rivals, he didn't have much confidence of really winning it.