Chapter 21

In the evening, the busiest commercial street in Shen City lit up. Its brilliant lights reflected off the surface of the river it ran alongside.

A black car slowly separated from the stream of vehicles and stopped before the main entrance of Peace Hotel. When the doorman saw the car's brand, his eyes shone. He eagerly stepped forward to open the car driver's and the passenger's doors.

A young man, looking to be in his twenties, emerged from the driver's seat. He was wearing a fancy flower print shirt and jeans, his hair was slicked back, and his leather shoes were polished to a mirror shine. He had a freshly lit cigarette in his mouth. After getting out, he straightened and glanced around, eyes narrowing at the sight of two tall, foreign women walking by. He gave them an ambiguous smile but looked away without reluctance.

He threw the car keys to the doorman, patted himself about for money, and stuffed a 50-yuan banknote in his hand. After that, he immediately circled the car, hurrying to the side of the young man who came out of the passenger's seat. "This car is f.u.c.king boring. Tomorrow, you're going to drive," he said.

His companion didn't even bother looking at him, only nodded to the doorman, and said, "Thank you." At the same time, he refused the offer to help him carry his bag.

"Xiao Chi." As the car was driven away and the two walked towards the hotel's entrance, the young man in the flower shirt continued to chatter: "What was wrong with Yan City? We didn't need to come here so early! I was supposed to have a horse race tomorrow, I even bet with people, and what? And f.u.c.king nothing, I'm going to lose by default since I f.u.c.king had to take a plane..."

"Hu Shaofeng." Xiao Chi kept walking, not looking at him. His fluffy, curly hair swayed with his steps, brushing against his indifferent face. "Either put out that cigarette or shut up and don't talk to me."

Hu Shaofeng paused mid-word, freezing in place. After a few seconds, he found that Xiao Chi was still moving and had absolutely no intention of waiting for him, so he had no choice but to press the cigarette against an ashtray in the garbage can then chase after him. "Hey, can't you walk slower?"

As the girl at the front desk checked them in, her gaze stayed on Xiao Chi's face almost the whole time. She reluctantly completed the formalities. "Here's your key card, sirs. Have a pleasant stay at our hotel."

They got a suite on the top floor. Hu Shaofeng, who was in the mood to make trouble, instantly ridiculed, "A suite? We're both men, a twin room would've been fine!"

Xiao Chi thanked the receptionist, lifted his bag, and turned to leave. Hearing his friend's words, he replied calmly, "I'm afraid of affecting your performance."

Opening the door, he stood in the entrance and examined the shared room. The first thing he did was throw the ashtray on the table into a drawer and glare at Hu Shaofeng, who was reaching for his pocket. "If you dare smoke in here, both you and your cigarette will depart this room right through this window."

Hu Shaofeng was usually wilful and arrogant, but while he could disobey his parents, he didn't dare disobey the person he proclaimed to be his best friend. He let go of the lighter he'd already touched and raised hands in surrender. "Fine, fine! Whatever you command, master."

He thought, You don't smoke, you don't have fun with women... Xiao Chi, in the end, what is it that you enjoy in your life?!

Tortured by his nicotine addiction, Hu Shaofeng fell on the sofa, tossing and whining. Finally, he sat up feebly, saying, "Hurry up and say what you want to say, I want to go to my room and smoke!"

Xiao Chi , drank it in an exasperatingly slow fashion, then kicked the bag he'd dropped on the floor towards the sofa.

The bag was surprisingly heavy. Hu Shaofeng had to expend effort to drag it to himself.