Chapter 5. The nightmare

Start from the beginning

"Sorry I smelt the food and I was starving! It's delicious!" She told me a little sheepishly but with no apology in her voice.

"I made it for you and Amy to apologize for yesterday. Amy will be here in a minute." I informed her and walked over to the coffee pot to pour us all cups.

"Yeah... what was all that about?" Brie questioned seriously.

"I'll explain when Amy gets here, it's hard for me but I want you guys to know." I replied sincerely. She nodded her head and went back to shoveling food into her mouth. Then we heard a knock on the door. I was on my way to get it but Brie yelled, "IT'S OPEN!" With a mouth full of food. I just chuckled, and Amy walked in.

I made everyone's coffee. Mine was with two spoons of both creamer and sugar, Brie's was two spoons of creamer and about the entire tub of sugar, Amy drank hers black. We all sat down, ate, and made small talk. Things were a tiny bit awkward, I knew they wanted to know what was up with me. When we were all done eating I cleared my throat.

"Okay, I'll tell you guys but I don't want a pity party. Okay?" I started and they both nodded their heads. I went on to explain how I grew up and about the dreams/memory that I have. It was hard but they both listened intently. No one but Thomas knew all of this about me. I even told them about the crazy run in that happened in the woods, though I admitted I wasn't sure if all of it really happened. When I was finished with everything I could tell they both felt sad for me. So I continued, "I just told you guys everything cause I feel like I can trust you, I don't want anyone's pity and I really don't want anyone else to know. Im really sorry that I scared everyone and I promise it won't happen again."

They both hugged me and smiled.

"Could I see your necklace?" Amy asked. I could tell she was very interested. I rarely took my necklace off but agreed to for her. I reached the necklace out to her, she took in it her hand with a towel. She looked at it in amazement. Rolling it over she saw the symbols on the back. It was just a pretty design and didn't mean anything as far as I knew. Her eyes widened, before quickly flipping it over and handing it back.

"Any clue what that is on the back?" She asked a little too innocently.

"No." I shrugged. "It's always been there but even searching online I never came up with anything so figured it was just a neat design." She just nodded her head in response.

We spent the rest of the day watching movies and talking. I found myself very comfortable with these girls. I really felt happy. I hadn't ever felt that way, not for as long as I can remember. So I relished in it until it was time to go downstairs for dinner. As we were walking Brie casually dropped a bomb on us.

"My boyfriend said he'd try to make it to supper with us." Brie declared out of nowhere, leaving both Amy and I staring at her.

"Since when do you have a boyfriend?!" Amy and I both questioned at the same time.

"Well," Brie blushed slightly, then continued, "I actually met him last night when we were looking for you Noel, I'm not one of those girls who fall head over heels for every boy who bats an eye at her, but I'm telling you, there's something about him. I feel... complete with him."

Brie blushed big time but I could tell she was being honest. Made me curious who could steal her heart that quickly, she really seemed to have a tough shell. Here for all of one day and already found her soulmate. Lucky brat. We continued discussing this mystery man until we got to the cafeteria. We grabbed our plates and made our way to the table. Brie leads the way and plops down next to a man. By the deep blush covering her this is said mystery man. He turns to look at us and my breath catches in my throat. Her boyfriend is Brian. He notices me and has a slight look of embarrassment on his face. 'Big baby should be embarrassed' I think to myself.

"Um hi... Noel right?" He questions and Brie looks back and forth between us. She stops and looks me dead in the eyes.

"Oh don't tell me!" She exclaims, "Brian, you're the big baby who flipped his lid over getting shocked?!"

"Hey! it hurt!" He mumbled and looked at Brie, she just smiled in return and chuckled.

"Go figure, I always fall for the saps." Brie said with a wink before turning to talk to Brian.

I chuckled to myself and ate my food. I hoped he would be nice to Brie, she deserved a good man. Before the whole 'shock thing' Brian seemed pretty nice so hopefully that would continue. I was happy that my friend was happy and just wanted that to continue for her.

"I guess you and I are the third wheels now." I nudged Amy. She just shook her head staring at her plate somewhat hunched over. She didn't look comfortable at all and I was about to ask why when Brian spoke up.

"Why don't you guys come to a bonfire at my pa- uh dorm tonight? Meet some of my friends?" Brian excitedly proposed. I was not keen on that idea. I knew at least one person in his group of friends that I did NOT want to willing run in to.

"I think I'll decline. No offense but I'd rather not be around Loren when I don't have to be." Surprisingly, or not so surprising considering how brash She can be, this came out of Brie's mouth.

"Aw come on, Loren's not that bad! She just thinks she's high and mighty. Her big brother will keep her in check." He smiled a big, goofy, and confident grin at Brie and she just seemed to melt. She nodded her head in agreement to go. I sighed but resigned to going as well.

Amy just stood up and quietly said she didn't want to, before walking back into the kitchen. I expected her to come back but she didn't. Brie texted her (apparently they exchanged numbers while looking for me) and it took a while for her to respond. When Amy responded she just said she wasn't feeling well and was in her room going to bed. Brie kept trying to talk her into going but she didn't respond so Brie gave up.

Brian was basically buzzing with excitement about this bonfire. I was still pretty nervous. I didn't want to become a bigger target for Loren, Brie said she'd protect me with a wink. Brian ran ahead to get his truck to start and bring it to us. He pulled up in his rusty old blue truck and we piled in. Here goes nothing.