one.

My hand coursed through my wet, curly hair and lazily found its way to the back of my neck. i let out a sigh and unlock my phone, impatiently waiting for a text back. my brother, a member of the santos gang of freeridge, was supposed to text me to let me know he was okay. i knew he was with friends, but they weren't the best kind of people to hang with. it has been two hours since he has replied back and i'm worried, the worst thought started crossing my mind. what if they got him, i thought to myself as i furrowed my brows.

if latrelle, a member of the prophets—whom are menaces to the Santos gang—got dominik, i swear i will retaliate somehow. maybe i am overthinking, i thought, yeah. he's okay. probably just screwing around. i sigh and lay back on my bed, rubbing my temples in frustration.

a knock came from the other side of the bedroom door, followed by a soft voice. "tina? supper's ready baby," my mother said as she slightly opened the door. "we're having pulled chicken tacos with a pineapple coleslaw—your favorite!"

i sat up and smile, "i knew it, i could smell the chicken." mom, who looked young for her age, smiled and left the door cracked as she left.

after getting off the bed, i wrap my hair in a bun and pull on my fuzzy zebra pajama pants before i walked in to the kitchen. the scent of pineapple and barbecue wafted distinctly throughout the house, leaving me to salivate as i sat down at the table.

mom made me a plate and sat it down in front me, the steam still rolling off of the food. i grab a fork and dig in to the coleslaw and plant it on my tacos before i wrapped them up and stuffed my mouth full. as i chewed the food, mom sat down at the table and sighed. "have you heard anything from nik?"

"uh-uh. he hasn't texted back in an hour," i responded after i swallowed my food.

"i'm really worried about him, tina," she scrunched her brows as she poked at her food.

i took a sip of orange soda, setting the cold glass back on the napkin it sat. "i am too, mamá. he's been so infatuated with the gang lately; he's changed."

"i know, it's terrible. i wished he wouldn't," she said as she rose her fork to her mouth and took a bite. the memories of my father in the gang came flooding back, even painful than before. especially when your older brother is now in his position.

i nod and bit my lip, looking down at my porcelain plate. "i'll be back, i'm gonna see if he texted me yet."

"okay, be quick or your food will get cold."

i nod once again and head to my room, picking my phone up from the dresser. 1 notification from mi hermano 🦇, it read. i slid it open and quickly scanned the message he sent me.

mi hermano 🦇:
Tina, siento muchísimo no
haberte llamado antes

(Tina, i'm sorry i didn't get
back to you sooner)

valentina 🍒:

ni una llamada de tú, nada....
así que me tenías preocupado!

(not a call, not a word.
i've been worried sick!)

mi hermano 🦇 is typing...

before i could see his response, mom came in and told me to come and eat the rest of my food. i couldn't deny her, so i followed her back to the kitchen and sat in my chair. after i was settled in my seat, mom spoke.