Chapter 4 - Ladies' Man

Start from the beginning

"I love it!" she exclaims, holding it out in front of her and staring at it with wide eyes.

When did this happen? When did my little sister become such a girl?

"I think it would look wonderful on you," Tanya's voice sounds from behind me, involuntarily making me jump, since I didn't expect her to be there.

"You should try it on," she encourages Lily.

For a split second, my sister's face falls when she realises who has joined us, but then her gaze drifts back to the item in her hands. She studies it and then fixes her big green eyes on me. I inwardly grown, suddenly feeling a bit sorry for Alex, because this must have been the treatment he got earlier today when she convinced him to let her try snowboarding.

"May I?" Lily asks me in the sweetest voice, throwing in a dimply smile for extra effect.

Holy cow, if I thought she was good before, she has certainly gotten even better at this while I have been away! Or maybe I am just more gullible because I have been away?

"Go on then," I say, surprising myself.

I can feel Tanya's presence next to my left shoulder and a shiver runs down my spine. I quickly do the maths in my head, trying to figure out when I last had anything with a woman. Being deployed in the Middle East leaves you with limited options, to be honest. The local women are off limits, for obvious reasons, and there are, unfortunately, still only very few girls in the Marines. I have only been back for a few days, so really, it is no wonder that I am starved for attention.

"What do you think? Do you like it?" Lily's voice brings me out of my thoughts.

I focus on the little ball of energy that is twirling and jumping around in front of me.

"Hold still for a moment, pumpkin," I laugh at her excitement. "I cannot see anything if you behave like the Tasmanian devil."

Tanya coos beside me. I don't know if it is because Lily looks simply adorable in the hoodie that is about two sizes too big on her, or because she is one of these women who go all funny when they see a guy with a little kid. Maybe both.

I chance a quick glance at the blonde beside me and find her smiling widely at Lily. This immediately makes me feel better. While she has clearly signalled that she is interested in me, she is also clued up enough to give Lily some real attention. Maybe fate is on my side and she will turn out to be great company for this week...

"I think you look a-ma-zing," Tanya tells Lily, sounding just as excited as the kid.

"It's clearly too big," I throw in my two cents.

I almost shrink back when a pair of blue eyes and a pair of green eyes give me twin incredulous looks.

"What?" I shrug, holding my hands up in an apologetic gesture.

"I like big jumpers," Lily tells me in a way that suggests that she is not impressed that I haven't figured that out yet.

"It's supposed to look this way," says Tanya at the same time. "I think you look very cool...umm... what's your name, sweetie?"

"Lily," she replies kindly, much to my surprise.

Apparently, it is true that women bond over clothes and shopping. Just like this, Lily seems to suddenly be amiable towards the young shop assistant.

I certainly don't have a problem with that!

"Well, Lily, I think you look adorable in that hoodie. Isn't she gorgeous, Daddy?"