Chapter 44: Deja Vu

King Asbjorn had given the two of them the best of care right after the incident, and had wished both of them farewell right before the Nokk scooped the two of them on his back and gave them a long ride all the way back home.

Anna had rushed up to the gates with a bright smile as she pulled Kristoff's arm, ready to welcome the two of them with open arms. Not until she saw the unconscious fire king, with a large, thick gauze on his abdomen.

Elsa had dropped to the ground, crying and screaming as if she was in pain (but she really was, wasn't she?)  and Anna's heart kept swelling as she picked up her sister, rubbed circles on her back and whispered sweet nothings to her ear as she looked at Kristoff with intense worry in her eyes.

Olaf had tried to speak to the sullen queen, but it only took the click of a lock to stop his attempts to make her lips curl up once again.

Sven had curled up with his best friend and his wife on the sofa as the fire crackled and burned on the fireplace; his ears drooping as he saw the faint tears streaking down the princess's eyes and Kristoff's head buried in his hands.

Cyra had perched on Aiden's bedframe, her wings covering her entire form as she forced her eyes to shut themselves to prevent tears to trickle down her fiery cheeks.

Anna had listened to Elsa's sobs through the thick walls of her and Aiden's bedroom. But she remained hopeless since she knew the lock was frozen, so she just hugged herself and tore herself away from that hall.

Present Day

Lifeless.

That was all Elsa had gotten to feel over the past few days. The aroma of fresh, brewed tea filled her nostrils as she lay on their bed, her eyes puffy and red after hours of bawling helplessly. Her white blanket went from her feet to her shoulders, her wrist clutching the hem as she had realized she had ran out of tears to cry.

“Hey, Aiden.”

Her pillow was slightly damp because of those endless waterfalls, but she did not cared a single ounce.

Even though the sweet aroma of tea roamed around the spacious room, she could still smell up her husband's  scent on his side of the bed despite his absence.

“You can still hold on,”

But she knew full well that his presence is in the medical wing, in a white walled room named the infirmary, breathing through an oxygen mask, his emerald green eyes closed shut, and his lips lacking color.

She had sent a letter to her mother in law to inform her about her son's current state one day ago, which the northern queen has not yet replied to.

“Right?”

Probably in the same bawling state as she is in right now.

A familiar knock disturbed her sorrowful solitude.

".. I know it's you, Anna."

"Els? Can you please open this door?"

"... No."

"Elsa, I'm tired of your crap! It's not easy to see your sister crying and screaming everyday. It's not easy to see your sister unable to bring herself to speak to everyone she loves and holds near the most."

No reply.

"You think I like that? You think we, like that?! Well let me tell you, Queen Elsa of Arendelle, we're sick of it! Els, you can't just shut me out again."

The twisting of a knob can be heard, as Anna's footsteps joined the noise. She gently approached her older sister who looked at her with a solemn expression.

It only took a few seconds for Elsa's wail to come out and her turning into full crying heap. Her free, platinum blond hair cascaded down from her head to her hips, her beautiful face being covered with warm tears.

Anna sighed and went beside her, embracing her tightly and assuring her, "It's going to be okay. It'll be alright. He'll wake up..."

Sugarcoatings.

Lies.

Sweet nothings.

"I j-just, I love him too much, Anna."

I lost my other half.

I lost a part of my heart.

"I know that, Els. I know that you do."

I have seen how your smile would reach your eyes everytime you see his face.

"The harder you love.." It was still Anna who spoke, "The harder it is for you to cope the pain of losing them."

"I'm not losing him, am I?"

"No, you're not going to. He's a strong guy."

"... He told me he would never hurt me.."

"Elsa, he never did—"

"He stabbed me, Anna! He stabbed me, he was ready to unleash his final breath."

Silence. 

"He almost gave up on the both of us."
______________________________________
Four Weeks later...

The infirmary door opened slightly, a pale hand holding its knob. The door opened completely to reveal the sleeping patient's wife, her white dress swaying as she walked to her husband's bedside, sitting down.

Her hand caressed his pale cheeks, he naturally had a pale complexion but this kind of pale of nearing to white had made her heart break again and again. Her fingertips brushed away his ruffled black hair, her lips pressing to his forehead, her warm tears landing on his skin.

Then, she began to sing.

A/N: This is a cover I made from "Do You Want To Build A Snowman? Reprise" which is sung by Anna or Kristen Bell of the very first movie of Frozen. It's titled as "Elsa's Lament" or "Do You Want To Love Me Again?" Which ever you prefer to call it.

[Elsa:]

Aiden?

...

Aiden please, I know you're in there...

Lover, I'm deeply missing you..

They say that you'll, open up your eyes

But isn't that a lie?

Oh, lover... I tried~

I need you here so badly..

I can't take the pain

It's tearing me up apart...

Do you want to love me again? 

She sighed deeply, wiping away her tears.

She knew it was useless.

As she turned her head, preparing to exit, she felt a someone take her hand. Her blue eyes widened at the sudden touch, a warm sensation spreading through her entire body. 

Her eyes met no other, but her eyes found his own hand weakly squeezing hers. His eyes were still closed, but being the fighter that he is, he was trying to open them, and Elsa knew that.

With a choked sob and a happy laugh,  Elsa tearfully and excitedly whispered, "Aiden!"

She raised her hand and his own which is wrapped around hers, kissing the back of his hand, tears endlessly cascading down her eyes, "Lover, you can hear me? Do you feel okay?"

...

"S-snowflake." He managed to say. Elsa knew being in a coma for many weeks can have a slight side effect to Aiden's capabilities.

"Yes, Aiden, it's me. Your snowflake." She tearfully smiled, kissing his nose. 

But somehow... Just staring into his droopy emerald green eyes..

She did not feel lifeless anymore.