Fourteen

Stay away from the train tracks, honey.

San gritted his teeth as he shuffled past the antique shop, leaving his bike locked up in the silver lock up in front.

His hands gripped the sides of his sweatshirt, desperate for something to be put into them. A cigarette, a paper clip, an old wadded up receipt.. something to get the urge away.

He curled his fingers over a single cig he had been stashing away for a moment like this, pulling it out with a sigh of relief.

For now he would just twirl it around, just like he always did when he headed for the tracks.San really couldn't explain why the tracks felt somewhat safe to him. He was always told by his parents to stay away from them... but now, it's the only place he went, besides his job.

His shift at the club ended earlier tonight, earlier than usual. The owner decided to close at midnight for no reason, and San was forced to just accept that.

It wasn't like he needed money desperately. He's not a college student after all.San's phone buzzed in his pocket, startling him out of his daze.

He dug it out and glared at the screen before picking up the call. "Yeah."

"Hey. I might have a place for you here. All I gotta do is talk to some people, and it can be yours. What do you think?"

He had called a friend to see if he could get a job at another place; the club wasn't working out for him.

San stopped fidgeting with his cigarette. "That's great." He said, excited for the nee opportunity. 

It wasn't much better than being a handsome bartender at a club, but it would bring him in some more money.

"I'll let you know if it works out." His friend said. Then, without another word, he hung up.

San sighed with relief. "Things are really working out." He said aloud to himself. "Maybe I don't need help after all."

Despite that, he headed to his usual thinking spot; the rarely used rusty tracks behind the shopping center downtown. With his bike he'd be there in no time, but it would take a lot longer for him to walk.

Why he decided to walk, he was not sure. But he'd soon regret it.

At the half way mark it began to pour down on him, the clouds finally splitting in half, letting mother nature piss out all of the rain it had been holding back all day.

San cursed under his breath and started to jog, hoping to get underneath the bus stop glass nearby his beloved hang out area in a few minutes time.

Four wet minutes later, San reached his bus stop destination. Out of sheer luck, he didn't slip while he jogged on the soaking sidewalk and pavement. He figured it was some miracle because everyone knew not to run while it's raining, especially on slippery metal surfaces.