10. music to drive to

Comenzar desde el principio

he just couldn't look away.

but the two minutes that had felt like a lifetime were suddenly up, and luke felt his heart sink slightly as they left the stage, applauding limply along with everyone else.

he knew the showcase wouldn't be that short, but his face fell at the thought of lola not returning to the stage. he couldn't quite comprehend how good she was, and all he really wanted was to watch her dance forever.

the next few numbers passed by in a blur; every dancer was amazing - but none of them were lola.

his back curved and slumped back into his seat, the feeling of missing lola growing and growing, making his stomach twist and his throat tighten up slightly.

until she came back and he could breathe again.

she was dressed in black feathers, and luke's breath halted slightly at the sight of her soft lips painted deep red.

the music started; she pushed forward into the light and began her second performance of the night.

she was onstage alone, and luke noticed the whole group tense up and lean forwards slightly; michael's fingers interlinking with bella's.

luke's throat was completely dry, and he swore he hadn't blinked in way too long. he'd never seen lola look so mature, so in control. she moved with a ferocity and energy that seemed to match his when he was in the ring, and yet she still looked so beautiful and elegant to him.

everything she did was almost mechanically perfect; his trance only broken when he noticed the group starting to count quietly as she entered a sequence of turns.

like a whirlwind onstage, she kept turning, and they all kept counting; leaning forward in anticipation and making luke slightly nervous.

he'd never been to a ballet showcase before and wasn't entirely sure what to expect, or why his friends had suddenly grown so tense.

"32!" ashton cheered softly, as her turns slowed to a halt and the group sat back in their seats with happy expressions.

"32 what man?" luke whispered, his gaze still focused on lola.

"that dance has 32 turns in it. it's like, super hard according to lola. she always gets really nervous about it." ashton explained, receiving only a nod in response.

lola's dance came to an end, and she broke into a wide smile, curtsying before she exited the stage and the lights started to come up.

"let's go see her!" calum cheered, practically leaping out of his seat.

"is the show over?" luke asked ashton lowly, not wanting everyone to know how inexperienced he was with attending formal events.

"no man, it's just the interval, so we get to see lola for a bit before she dances again." ashton explained, smiling.

luke's chest constricted slightly at the prospect of seeing her, and all he could do in response was nod; too preoccupied with what he would say to her when he saw her - the feelings swirling in his chest wouldn't allow him to be so blunt to her anymore.

***

lola pulled her robe around herself, grabbing a makeup wipe and removing her dark lipstick quickly, being careful not to smudge into her foundation.

her entire body felt like it was buzzing slightly - the dances were going well - and she was just waiting for her friends to burst through the door.

of course she hadn't missed the fact that luke was in the audience.

in a white shirt, looking positively godlike, she felt her cheeks flush slightly at the mental image.