Chapter 43: Last Card

Previously on Frozen III: The Queen And I...

A sickening crack can be heard, and Aiden can see his wife's satisfied smile even though he struggled to lock Abaddon beneath him.

"NO!"
___________________________________________
Abaddon angrily pushes the fire king off him, a loud thud echoing through the spacious room as Aiden was thrown back at the floor. Abaddon regained his stance, his huffs breathing through his nose.

He groped his waist and found his crossbow, growling furiously at them as sweat trickled down his forehead.

He angrily pointed the deadly weapon at the three of them, shakily targetting from one person to another. Aiden secured Elsa behind him, wrapping an arm around her waist to ensure her safety, glaring at him.

Cyra flew away from her master's shoulder and sneered at Abaddon with a feisty squawk, dashing to the door and inserting a claw to the lock. She turned her claw, thus unlocking the door. 

A troop of guards barged in right after the large door was unlocked, threatening their inflamed sword to the trembling "right hand."

"I'm f-finishing this! You both have gone too far, all of you!" Abaddon turned to the troop angrily, threateningly pointing his crossbow to them.

"You took everything from me! You, and your demon of a mother! I've had enough of blasted, flame summoning brats!" He roared.

"GUARDS! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU WAITING FOR?! SEIZE HIM!"

All heads turned to where the new voice came from. A young man who appears to be just the age of eighteen with fair skin, dark orange hair, and orange brown eyes wearing a blue and red royal uniform is the one who yelled the command in frustration and irritation. He conjured flame to dance on his gloved hand, directing it towards Abaddon with an angry scowl.

"King Asbjorn! There was a commotion going on here earlier! But every possible entrance was locked!" One of the guards reasoned weakly, but he knew the young monarch wouldn't buy it

The young king however ignored his excuse and turned to Abaddon icily, meaning he have overheard the fight between the four and had pieced up two and two together.

"You fooling everyone is over! I shouldn't have trusted you in the first place, nevertheless trusting you to be my right hand!" Asbjorn growled.

"That was your last card, traitor! Put your arms up, now!"

"Oh no, it isn't."

As the guards dashed up to Abaddon,  he took his final opportunity to do what he had desired the most for moments now. He steadied himself and eyed the fire king who was clutching his beloved wife, covering her body to be certain she will be safe.

He pulled the trigger of the crossbow, which is pointed to the fire king.

The arrow glided with speed and force, piercing the unharmed air... And piercing Aiden's abdomen.

"AIDEN!" Elsa's loud, horrified scream echoed through the throne room. Aiden's eyes were ones of wide, hopeless terror, and hissing pain. The crossbow's power had pierced through from the front and out the back. Dark red colored blood seeped from Aiden's gray shirt, dripping from his abdomen to his clothed thigh.

Aiden collapsed to his knees weakly, his one hand clutching the arrow. It looked disturbing to see for some, but Elsa never cared and carried her husband to her lap, as if the blood staining her travel coat didn't exist.

Both mental and physical pain collided for Aiden as he saw those hot tears welling in Elsa's eyes.

"Don't w-worry Anna, I got you.."

"She's ice cold!"

"I know where we have to go."

"D-don't worry A-aiden, I g-got you..."

Abaddon smirked in victory as he was being carried away by heavily armored guards.

"O-oh snowflake— hiss— I would really love to die in your arms.." Aiden rasped, taking her hand and weakly resting it on his cheek, "I want to die hearing your beautiful voice.. I want to die with the sight of your gorgeous blue eyes."

"Y-you won't! Aiden please!" Elsa pleaded as she sobbed, tears now streaking down her cheeks.

You can't leave me behind. I can't shut out Anna again.. I can't breathe without you. I can't exist without you.. I must live for a reason..  who's dying on my lap.

"B-but I am right now." Aiden smiled tearfully as he felt his own tears coming to fruition, "Baby, I love you so much... I lived a full life.. I'll die with a thawed h-heart, and that's enough for me."

"Then what about me?!" Elsa screamed, "What about your damn wife who wants to see your eyes open and your heart beating? You told me you'd never hurt me. You told me you won't break my heart."

"Aiden, you're stabbing me right now."

Silence fell upon the couple, as Aiden felt his eyes droop.

Then, he fell into a dark void; thus, unconscious.

"NO!" Elsa helplessly yells, tears still fresh and unfading. She brought his weak body to her chest, letting his head rest on her beating heart...

.... But his doesn't feel like it's beating anymore...

"Somebody! Please, help!"

"We're taking him to the infirmary!"

"We'll do our best, my lady."

"The damage on his abdomen is quite bad... I'm afraid it has a huge chance to scar..."

Echoes.

Just, soft and bouncing echoes.

Tears.

Warm, painful waterfalls gliding down her pale, milky cheeks.

Cries.

Suffering, ache filled pleas throughout the white walls of the infirmary room.

Ice.

Forming to her fingertips that traced his colorless skin.

"Queen Elsa, your husband's in a coma."