Chapter 10

I introduced myself very calmly in the current, flustered state I was in. The class sent one glance at me and then went back to their chatting. I cleared my throat to get their attention but the constant buzz of noise wouldn't stop. How should I quiet them? I took the metre rule and knocked it against my desk. It might have been a too much violent gesture but I didn't like to yell. I announced, "One by one, you will stand and tell me your name, age, something about yourself and what do you think of Math. I'll start first."

       They were being awfully quiet now. "I'm Miss Finn. I'm 22, I like to teach and I love Math." I felt only a little guilty about saying those 2 lies, my age and my 'love' of teaching. There were hushed murmurs and I pointed to the back person to begin their introduction. I told the student to stand and he began. I sat on my chair and waited for Calli and James's lines. James was sitting next to her and I could tell she was doing her best to ignore him.

       The scumbag. Whoa, I didn't know I was capable of using such language. Calli got up and stood straight unlike the norm slouchy posture, kids had. " I'm Calli Rose. I'm 16. I like to hang out with my friends. Math is an easy subject." I twitched, easy she said eh? Hanging out with friends was a common hobby, one which I never possessed. I noticed she also left out her real name Callista. The next person rose, James.

   James flipped his hair when he stood. I wanted to laugh in his face. He was acting sassy too much. I warned him before his speech, as a precursor to this rule. "Grooming in class, is not allowed Mr. Bryden. Surely you know that?" It is mostly a girl's act, I wanted to add but I was afraid someone might have actually stood up for him. He was pretty popular already it seemed.

         The class was shocked that I knew his name before he introduced himself. I pinched myself. How would I survive the rumours now? He made a fake apology, did his task and sat back down. I then threatened detention to anyone who wanted to follow his example. I know on the first day, this was harsh but I needed to build a reputation for myself. I sighed, this was how my whole day had been. Even at lunch time, I had stayed inside my room. So much for getting to know this new place.

        While I drove to my 'home', I thought about the events at school. It wasn't that bad, only a few people tried to flirt. I handled it quite authoritatively. When asked if I had a boyfriend, I told them Math was mine. Throughout those feats of laughter, I bore the humiliation and smiled. My sad smile, how inconsiderate people could be, how unthoughtful, uncaring, unkind and unconscious of the pain they cause. It was meant to be a joke yes but their laughter reminded me of the times I'd never laughed in high school when others did. What perfect timing that memory chose to haunt me.

        The term comfort food never applied to my life so I ended up working out in one of the gyms. Well, it was more of a boxing room with weights and a punching bag which I gladly worked with, never tiring of punching it back when it rebounded on me. Eventually, my knuckles were beginning to get sore, my body did not heed the message my brain was telling me. Autumn, take a break. Get over this already. It wasn't like me to be angry for long.

Someone came and I didn't care less who it was but my instincts knew it was my boss. "What's up?" I asked, still hitting the bag.

"Someone's working out a lot," he commented, then commanded. "Follow me Auto."

        I frowned. Auto was a nickname, few in the game used to call me and they knew it annoyed me. Was it possible I knew Mr. Rehum through the game? Highly unlikely, for the few months I worked here if I had knew him from before, surely he would have been nicer. He would have acknowledged my ability sooner, unless he was someone I didn't get along with on the game.

       Riley had taken me to his own personal training room. The walls were of clear and blue tinted glass. There was probably a good view of outside. He took me to a corner that looked normal, not too high-class fancy at all. It contained plain furniture, the normal objects you'd find in a room - a small table with a lamp, a chair, a rug, a bag, a tall plant in a pot which looked very heavy and a collection of knives on the wall along with a painting beside it.