Chapter 41: Meeting the "King's Right Hand"

"State your business." An Ignaeran soldier asked in an interrogating way, eyeing the trio up and down. His teal eyes observed their nervous movements. He was beyond intimidating, the guard was clad in golden layers of armor, his spartan like helmet covering his unrecognizable face. He is almost the same size as Oaken, but his form is more slender.

"We came to meet the king." Aiden stepped forward behind Elsa and Cyra, "We mean no harm, please rest assured."

The guard interrogated once more, "What do you need from the king? Why are you requesting his audience?"

Aiden sighed, then pointed to the village nearby, "Everyone in that village is losing their powers by this dark artifact that absorbs it, but we do not know who currently has it. We have brought no proof, but you can might as well interrogate everyone in that village. They're hiding, trapping themselves in their homes in fear of losing their abilities."

The guard grumbled and opens the silver gates, "You may enter. The villages in Ignaera are the king's utmost concerns. Follow me, and no funny business." He warned, his eyes almost readable, meaning that they cannot do something they'll regret.

The palace was humongous, its columns and pillars almost matching the size of an ageless tree. The ceiling was painted with a masterpiece of an art; the throne itself another sight to witness. The throne has a fine, soft red cushion for the monarch to sit on, its arms made out of gold and its backrest made out of pure bronze.

On each side of the throne are beautiful cascading mini waterfalls; pink flower lilies floating on the very end of the waterfalls. The floor beneath their feet is made out of limestone, while the very aisle where petitioners step on is covered with a long maroon carpet.

"Lieutenant Aksel, who are these guests?" A thin middle aged man with a goatee clad in a black tailcoat, white cravat, and white trousers and black boots asked, adjusting his silver monacle.

"These guests request the king's audience, my liege."

"The king is ill as of now. It was something about unbearable weakening. King Asbjorn is resting in his personal quarters, but first, what's their reason for seeking the king?" He motioned to the trio.

"A commotion in one of the nearby villages, Goran. What about the king's new right hand, sir Halvor, is it? Where is he?" Lieutenant Aksel questions.

The thin, uniformed man known as Goran replies with ease, "How peculiar. Sir Halvor have just returned from a certain village. Anywho, I'll call him from his study, worry not. I'll be back in a bit." Goran excused himself and walked away to search for the mentioned right hand.

The trio patiently waited, Aiden breathing nervously as every second passed. Silence fell upon the small group and as Lieutenant walked away, exiting the throne room in boredom. 

"Ladies and gentlemen, sir Halvor. I will leave you all in peace so you all can focus at the problem at hand. I will check on the king to ensure his health." Goran bowed formally before walking away from the throne room to one of the palace's dark halls.

A burly, dark uniformed man appeared in front of them, his emerald green eyes peering through the holes of his white mask. His head of blond hair is combed neatly back, no strand out of place.

"Good afternoon." Halvor curtly greeted.

"... Hello.." Aiden silently greeted, his matching emerald green eyes locking into the right hand's own. For some strange reason, Halvor's eyes consisted an icy cold demeanor, seething at him arrogantly. But Aiden shook his head mentally, thinking it's just his subconscious.

Halvor waved his hand, whirling it in the air, and all doors, including the throne room's main entrance, clicked, symbolizing a lock. Elsa felt frost crawling up to her fingers anxiously, her fearful eyes turning to the shutting windows caused by another whirl of the king's right hand's wrist.

"Let's focus on the main agenda, shall we?" The masked man offered firmly, "What is the commotion in that village you speak of?"

Elsa finally gathered the courage to speak in front of this mysterious man,  "Its people are losing their powers, by this artifact one of the residents had mentioned. He had seen it with his own eyes, and—"

"Tell me, young lady, which artifact? Ignaera is known for its countless artifacts." Halvor cuts in, a dangerous red glint flashing through his green eyes. Aiden glared harshly at the right hand, but Cyra managed to cover his face with a wing so none can notice how his eyes are similar to the beginning heat on his palms.

"... Temptatis Exitium."

Halvor smirked, his gloved hand going up from his abdomen to his chest, like he was groping something behind the coat of his uniform.

And one of Aiden's nerves told him to grasp for his sword that was hanging around his waist because of his belt, sheathed and polished.

Danger lurks somewhere in this area, I can feel it.

"I believe this, is what you are referring to?"

The trio gasped in utter shock, as the king's so called right hand pulled out the silver chained garnet artifact from the pockets of his lapel, dangling in his tight grip, its very jewel glowing with pure power. It left aerial red trails as it swung in his gloved fingers.

With its glow, it should be sipping up their powers by now.

But nothing was happening.

Aiden was not falling weakly to his knees, Elsa's hands are not trembling as the artifact sucks up her very abilities. Cyra should be a small, ordinary hummingbird by now. In fact, the artifact was getting nothing at all.

Elsa chuckled, playing with a snowflake she created a minute ago casually, "Ooh, the perks of being the fifth spirit." She whistled, smiling mischievously.

Halvor growled angrily, hot smoke flaring from his nostrils.

He unbearably took off his mask...