21

Engagement Day

"Anjali bitiya, where are you? And where is the Puja ki thali! We have to move fast. There is no time left!" Dadi called.

"I'm coming Dadi. It's just Shyamji's button of Kurta broke, so I was fixing that!" Anjali muttered apologetically, handing Dadi her Puja Thali.

"What, though I'm impressed with you for attending your husband first then everyone, but at this point where you are needed, you should have handed that to any other person who was free. You are the groom's sister, you have to be there at the right time and now where is Chote?"

"He is ready Dadi, but at present he is on call."

"When will this man look beyond that phone and laptop!" Dadi muttered.

"You be here, I'll go and call Chote. Devyani and all left 15 minutes back! Did you send the car for Panditji?"

"Yes Dadi, you relax. Everything is done, we just have to leave!"

"Ok, I'll be back!" Dadi left towards Arnav's room.

Anjali sat on the sofa, she was so exhausted running behind everyone and doing the preparations.

"Ranisaheba, where is my watch and handkerchief?" Shyam shouted from the room.

"I don't know what happened to him. He is not able to find anything for morning." Anjali muttered and left towards her room to attend her husband for nth time since morning.

"What happened to you, I kept everything on the dressing table. Can't you find it?" Anjali was frustrated. Her husband is too much sometimes.

"But I don't want to wear this watch today.  Where is the watch which SaaleSaahab gifted us? The couple watch?"

"It's in your watch collection. You know where it is, can't you take it already?" She asked moving towards the wardrobe where her husband's 'Watch collection' is kept.

"I can, but you handing me my Watch, handkerchief and wallet with your loving hands has a unique kind of love instead of me taking it."

"Stop buttering me, we are getting late for the engagement. Come fast now!" Anjali said blushing, after handing him the watch.

She turned to move out of the room and didn't see the change in her husband's facial expressions.

'Did Daadiji get only Khushiji to marry that Arnav!' Shyam thought aloud.

Arnav's Room

"What is this Arnav, You aren't ready yet?" Dadi asked entering his room.

Arnav who was busy speaking on the phone turned to see her and gestured his phone.

After few second he hanged the call to see his grandmother tapping her foot impatiently.

"I'm ready Dadi, come let's go!"

"Wait! What are you wearing and will you wear this and to your engagement?" Dadi asked gesturing towards his suit.

"Yes Dadi, I'm not comfortable wearing Kurta!"

"This is not done Arnav. You are not going to the meeting to wear this business suit. You are going to your own engagement so better wear that Kurta."

"But Dadi what's wrong if I wear suit?"

"What's wrong? Everything is wrong. Why have you become so westernized. We are going to an engagement not to a ball!"

"Dadi let me remind you this engagement and all are also western culture. We have adapted it. So allow me to also wear western wear. We are getting late." Saying this he dragged Dadi downstairs.