12 - PLATINUM SCAR

The moment Skadi had stood in the woods and watched her best friend fall against the snow and could hear his pained groans echo in her eardrums, the woman swore to never use her power against him again ─ or to use them at all. But then she returned home, and she restored Asgard to its former glory because Skadi knew deep in her heart, buried beneath all the fear and regret, that the Horae were right. She was her mother's daughter. She was a Horae. She was Skadi Ullrdottir, Goddess of Winter. And if she could restore Asgard, why could she not also save Loki?

"Alright," Skadi nodded after a moment, squeezing Emblr's hands back. "I will do it. I will save him."

"Come," Ostara said, extending a hand toward Skadi, "we must make haste. We know not of how much time Loki has left."

Giving the woman a nod of agreement, Skadi exited her bed chambers. Her pace was much quicker than the others as she lead the way down the many corridors toward the infirmary, passing guards and maidens along the way, all of whom turned to look at her and whispered. The news had spread quick; it seemed. They had heard of Loki's condition and had placed the blame upon her. (Not that they were mistaken in doing so, as it was her fault.) Skadi paid no attention to them and kept her pace toward the infirmary. Her heart raced the entire way there.

When they arrived at the infirmary, Nadiya was the first to take notice of her presence, soon followed by Odin and Frigga.

Odin's demeanor changed when he saw Skadi. "Did I not say─"

"Skadi, why are you here?" Frigga cut her husband off. "Why are all of you here? Have you discovered something? Is this about Loki? Tell me, do you know how to help him?" The desperation on her face and in her words broke Skadi's heart.

Skadi approached her king and queen, bowing her head before saying, "With your blessing, I would like to save your son."

Frigga and Odin exchanged a glance. Neither one of them said a thing for what seemed like forever. When the queen gave her husband a small smile, Odin gave in. Nadiya had said that she did not know of Loki's infection and that it would only worsen. He saw no other way than to allow Skadi to do what she can.

Odin nodded, "Do what you must."

Skadi bowed her head before approaching the table.

When she arrived at Loki's side, she swallowed down a sob, for the sight of his condition was enough to make her want to rid the power of the Horae for all eternity. This was her own doing. She had done this. Within her, she had the power to kill someone in such a slow and painful way. It made her sick to her stomach.

She reached out and took his hand in her own and couldn't help the gasp that fell from her lips at the temperature of his skin. It wasn't the same warmth that had held her so close and rather a bitter cold that made her heart burn. Gods, did she wish she could feel the cold now. If anyone deserved to feel such pain, it was her, for she had done this to someone who didn't deserve it. Loki was only trying to help her, after all. Look at what she had done to repay his kindness. His love.

"I'm going to make it better, Loki," Skadi whispered, "I promise."

The room fell silent as every took a step back to give the Goddess of Winter her space.

Skadi closed her eyes. She relaxed her body, took a deep breath, and reached out. In her mind, she pictured what Loki's innards must look like, tainted with cold that was slowing devouring from one place to another, and she reeled in the frost consuming every one of his bones and organs into her own body and returned it to the place whence it came. A cold sensation tingled in her bones.

It was working.

Moments passed, and before she knew it, she only felt warmth. Skadi opened her eyes and looked down. Loki's skin had regained colour and his body lay still, no longer trembling with a cold sweat. But his hair, though obsidian and lacking the frost, still had a single platinum strand that flowed from his scalp. She frowned at the sight of it. While everything else had seemed to vanish, that had not. She wondered why.