17 - flight

"I know... I know, Jay."

Hunter hugs me tightly, his chin resting on my head. We both stare at the picture together.

"You look just like her y'know."

I laugh softly and nod, he brushes a tear away. I carefully push the picture into my pocket then turn around, burying my face in Hunter's chest.

"Do you think this is all too fast?" I whisper softly to him.

There is a beat of silence, "What do you mean?"

I sigh softly and shut my eyes. I feel his skin pulsing with life against mine and suddenly I feel comfort.

"Us... Is it too fast?" I ask again, staring at him now.

Hunter brings his hands to my face and cups my cheeks. His beautiful eyes stare into mine. They are so bright. A deep blue with green inside. Emeralds that give him the power to see.

"Yes. It was, but I don't mind it. Nobody has to know anytime soon, Jaime. We can take as much time as you want. I will wait."

I lean up and kiss him softly. My eyes flutter shut with his. Our foreheads lean against each other, both of us relaxed.

"I just... Don't want us to regret anything," I open my eyes.

He stares down at me and kisses my forehead, "We won't."

• • •

Of course I ride with Hunter to the airport, holding his hand over the center. We pull into the airport, the heat on low while Christmas music plays through the speakers.

"Thanksgiving hasn't even happened yet and they are playing Christmas music," I switch to the disc.

"Well it's because Christmas is the best holiday."

What did he just say?

"Excuse me, but Christmas is not the best holiday. That would be Halloween."

Hunter wrinkles his nose, "Ok hold on. Cookies, family, just as much food as Thanksgiving, holiday movies, eggnog, presents, and hot chocolate."

"Costumes, candy, better decorations, beautiful leaves, and sweaters."

"I refuse to put up with a grinch," He fake takes offense.

Or at least I hope it's fake.

"Seriously? Christmas has nothing to do with family and love anymore. It is so commercialized."

Hunter pouts, "That doesn't mean it can't be good. I can't wait for you to have Christmas with us. Plus, there is always mistletoe hanging in the front doorway."

He winks and me and I cave a little bit. He leans towards me for a kiss. Why does he make my insides melt?

"Can we at least agree that Easter is the worst holiday?" I squint at him, withholding my lips until he answers.

"Yes. The worst idea in the history of holidays," My golden boy grins, I lean in and kiss him.

Maybe Valentine's Day will become my new favorite.