Chapter Twenty

Like in case you guys have forgotten what happened before, go back and read the last chapter. To the chapter!

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter or the characters except for Lirana, Kenneth, Courtney and a few more. Belongs to JK Rowling :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you know the feeling when you're on a roller coaster and all you want is to get off, sick of the twist and turns in life? I do. And right now all I want now is out.

The Dark Lord threatening to kill my fiancee if I stepped out of line, the knowledge that even I, the Princess of Slytherin, the only daughter of the Malfoy family, isn't even safe in the boundaries of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, supposedly the safest place in the world - it made me sick. It doesn't help matters that the castle itself and its occupants themselves are radiating fear. 

The only thing stronger than fear is hope. And as long as hope resides, fear doesn't stand a chance. And hope we have, from the Dumbledore's Army, trying their best to start a rebellion in hope for a better tomorrow. Starting fights with Slytherins in the halls. Outright defying the Carrows. Getting hurt for the sake of the students, becoming a symbol of hope.

Cheesy, right? Believe me, I know. If they think calling themselves Dumbledore's Army is going to make the Dark Lord afraid, then they'd have to try a lot harder. Yet a part of me is grateful to them. To know that, maybe, just maybe, this will end someday, and I can finally live in peace with the ones I love.

And little did I know, the reign might be ending soon. Or beginning. As neither can live while the other survives.

It started when I was hanging out with Draco. You know, those quiet brother sister walks. I almost stopped going anywhere with Kenneth Thomas Avion. I figured, if leaving is the only way to keep him safe, then leave I would. It would break my heart to see him hurt again. However, he is confused at my icy demeanor towards him.

Draco was patrolling the corridors, while I moved silently next to him. Heck, I'm the Slytherin Princess with a prefect on duty next to me, I was not likely to get caught. Furthermore, Snape was the staff in charge of patrolling that hour. It was past midnight, and I needed some time with my brother. We were both troubled, both of one heart. We feared the outcome. Either way, we would be on the losing team, Draco even more so.

We walked in the comfort of silence, Draco thin pale right arm pointed frontwards with his lighted wand, occasionally moving to catch any late night wanderers. With help from the vague wandlight, I glanced at Draco. His brows were furrowed, eyes unblinking. I could almost see a vein at the left side for his forehead, a sign that he was under presssure. I sighed outwardly, allowing myself to slouch for a minute before returning to the perfect posture. Malfoys don't slouch.

And then it happened. Next to me, Draco let out a hiss of pain and dropped his wand, and the light faded completely. I whipped out mine from my sleeve and lighted it. "Lumos!" Draco slid down into a sitting position against the wall, face contorted in pain. "Draco! Merlin, Draco!" Beads of sweat formed on his face, and his right hand was clutching his left forearm. With difficulty, I persuaded Draco to let me see his left forearm. And there it was, his Dark Mark as pronounced as ever, the serpent beneath his arm slithering restlessly. 

"My wand-" Draco panted, eyes closed. With help of my wandlight, I searched for it on the ground. Finally, I found it lying on the other side of the corridor. Legs feeling like jelly, I stumbled over and retrieved it with trembling hands and took it back to Draco. By then, he had recovered, had already stood up, and took it from me. He lighted his wand steadily, his silverish grey eyes looking into mine.