Chapter 2: Anniversary

Chapter 2
Gloss Kaiser Schlund
Anniversary

          Mom. I hate mom today.

          I know that she has a new life now, even a new love. But I can't believe she forgot it. It keeps bugging me, why did she forget it? Has the time really passed by quickly and it made her forget it? God, I really can't believe it. She thought it's about soccer. She thought it's all about soccer. I've tried to shut my mouth, all day. When I woke up, I felt giddy, waiting for my mom to say something about today. But she didn't. She doesn't have any clue what's the event today.

          At lunch break in school, I've decided that I would go to my old home. To visit someone. And now, here I am, at my father's graveyard, sobbing, missing him. Damn. At the same time, it's their anniversary. Mom and Dad's anniversary. And it's Dad's death anniversary. How can Mom forget about this? She knows how important this day to me.

          My father died 6 years ago. At their anniversary day. Dad was driving his car whilst Mom was on the passenger seat. They were laughing, having fun. But it was put to an end when their car crashed. Mom's the only survivor.

          That's why I don't own a car. That's why we, my mom and I, decided that we would not use a car. That we would not drive. But I broke my own promise. I drove just to get here. Because my father is really important to me. I borrowed my friend's car to get here. Just to get here.

          "Dad..." I whisper, sobbing like a little kid I am. "I miss you so much. There are so many things I want to tell you, but probably, you can't hear me there, can you? But I still want to talk to you. Dad, you know Mom has a new love life, don't you? Well, let me tell you, his name is Richard. And he's damn rich. But I refuse to call him dad, because you are my only dad. I wish that you were here, talking with me, playing with me. Like we used to do when you were still alive, living free. Dad, even though I'm 16, I still want to be with you. I know I'm a cry baby, right? Well, I blame you for it. Because you always spoil... spoiled me. I miss you so much, Dad. And I love you too. Well, as you can see, Mom can't go today. Probably because she's busy with the new family. Anyways, I think I'll be staying here with you tonight. It's okay with you, isn't it? Well, I'll just grab the tent and fix it here. Okay? Oh and Dad, I almost forgot. I have a new brother. Well, don't be mad, a step-brother. Richard and Mom won't be having a child. I promise that to you. Well, back to my step-brother, his name is Noah, and he's kind of an asshole. Scratch that, he is an asshole. Very arrogant. Very cold. Has a cocky attitude and he is full of himself. Can you believe it? He hates me. And I hate him, too. Well, I should grab the things, so, be right back!" The tears keep flowing down my cheeks, and I definitely look like a cry baby. Dad. I miss my father so much. I thought Mom would be the one to suggest to go here. Turns out I'm wrong. Because I'm the only one who remember this day. How important this day is.

          Standing up, I go to the trunk of the car to get the folded tent and place it in front of my father's grave, setting it up. Then I grab the flashlight and put it inside the tent, so I can use it for some purpose. Just in case. Then I grab the foods, mostly junk foods, and the mango cake. Dad loves... loved mango cake. I wipe off the tears and get a paper plate, a plastic fork, and eat the mango cake. Yum. I wish I could give, or even feed, dad. But I can't. Smiling, I grab the water and drink it, the water moistening my almost-dry throat.

          After that, I grab the small pillow that I brought with me, and rest down my head. Groaning because I forget something, I zip the tent and head back to lie down, then I shut my eyes and let myself fall into unconsciousness.

          When I wake up, the birds are chattering sweetly. The fact that I'm in the land of the dead doesn't make me feel anxious. This morning feels great. I feel great. Rolling off, I grab the phone and check it. I have 20 missed calls and 24 texts. 16 missed calls from mom, and 4 missed calls from an unknown number. 18 texts from mom and 2 texts from an unknown number. Dammmnnn. Deciding to text mom, I put: Sorry. I'm going to head home now. Wait for me.

          Standing up, I get out of the tent and let the cold breeze of the air greet me, my hair sticking up everywhere. The sun is shining brightly up in the air. The clouds are moving in its usual pace: slow and gentle.

          "Dad... I have to go now." I say, chuckling. "Mom must be pissed at me right now. Love you and miss you, Dad." Then I fix the tent, fold it, then bring the things back inside the trunk. I whisper good-bye to my father, hoping that the wind would carry the message to Heaven, and climb into the car and drive away from here. Another 8 hours. I check my watch and it's now 10 in the morning. Daammmn. I overstayed. The burden in my chest has been lifted off my chest.

          By the time I got home, it's already 6:24pm. I enter the front door and head inside the house. In the living room, there are Mom, Richard, and Noah sitting on the family size sofa. Mom has a furious expression on her face. They don't notice me until Noah looks up and sees me. He immediately frowns as he sees me. I roll my eyes at him.

          "Where have you been, young man?!" Mom asks me as she stands up, walking towards me. "Did you think how worried I was? Did you think of your mother?!"

          "Listen, mo-" I try to cut her off, but she beats me to it.

          "No, you listen here, young man. I don't know what's been bugging you, and I probably don't care about that. But you should have called me! You should have texted me where you were going! I was like a fool here! Thinking about you, if you were alright or not!" She says, glaring at me. I knew it! She doesn't care! Noah just smirks at me, finding this amusing. What an asshole. Richard's just watching the TV, not wanting to join the conversation.

          "Listen mom!" I shout. "I've be-" Before I complete what I have to say, Mom's palm lands on my left cheek. It stings like hell! Damn it. Noah's smirk grows wider and Richard looks at me with worried eyes. Mom never hit me. Mom never laid her palm on either of my cheeks. Until now. I look at her, with hurt and sadness obvious in my face. She must have realized what she's done because her eyes widen.

          "Gloss..." She whispers, taking a step towards me. But I take a step back.

          "Mom, you never hit me." I state, almost crying. "You never land your palm on either of my cheeks. You didn't let me explain. Do you know what day yesterday was? It was September 3. You do know what that day means, right?" I say, now sobbing. I just realize it. But right now, I don't care. "I know that we have now a new life, that you have now a new love. I understand that. And I understand you forgot your anniversary with Dad. But September 3 means a lot to us. Or at least you used to. May I remind you that September 3 is Dad's death anniversary. I visited him." Before I storm away, I notice Noah's expression. He's wearing a sad expression. I bet it's only for a show. In any case, if his expression is really true, then I don't need his pity. I head upstairs, not bothering to look at Mom, to my room. I slam my room's door, lock it, and cry like  hell, isolating myself, letting the pain fill my chest.

          Damn.

          My room is dark. So dark I can't see things inside my room. So dark it reflects what I'm feeling. So dark it makes me want to cry even more. So dark it makes me isolate myself even more. If my chest were a an empty bucket, and the pain were a water, my chest would be overflowing right now. Too much emotions. I feel like everything, the sad memories, is coming back to me. I clutch my head, remembering Dad's lifeless body. I was there. I was there.

          It was my fault that Dad died.

          If I was not daring them to kiss, Dad wouldn't have kissed Mom and the car wouldn't have crashed. I thought I belonged in the survivor. But no, my soul was taken away when dad died. Mom's the only survivor.

          No. I hate myself. I so hate myself.

          I just cry, letting the emotions, the sad memories, the image of dad's lifeless body, mom's cry, play inside my head. And I then I sleep, falling asleep in my tears.