71: Dinner w/ the Brewster's

Start from the beginning

"Ma" Dave called her but she didn't answer. She kept her eyes forward still buried in her head. "Ma" he called her again and still there was no answer. Dave let her be he knew she had something on her mind just like he had but he wasn't going to let her stay there for too long. He meant everything he said to her. He wasn't going anywhere no matter what. So that right there she didn't have to worry about. Dave knew why she worried though. Shit he worried too. He knew it wasn't going to be easy telling his parents like it had been for April when she found out she was pregnant alongside her parents.

Pulling up to his parent's house Dave parked the car and turned it off. April was still in her head and hadn't noticed that they had even stopped.  "April" Dave called her immediately snapping her out of her thoughts as she looked at him like he was crazy.

"I know you didn't" she frowned.

Dave looked at her and laughed. "I'm sorry ma but you've been in a daze for a lil minute now and when I was calling you, you weren't answering so I had to do it" he explained. April hated when he called her by her name. She said it didn't sound right when he said it. It only sound right when they said it with I love you. Dave knew it was because she was so use to being called ma and he felt the same way when she called him David. April knew what his name was...Papi and she knew how to use it and say it oh so well that he didn't want to hear any other name but Papi when it came to her.

"My fault I'm a lil nervous. I don't want to cause any trouble or build wedges or have ya parents looking at you like ya crazy or treating you differently because you decided to get into a relationship with the woman you love who's currently pregnant by someone else" she looked at him saddened. April knew what kind of woman she was so she didn't want anyone looking at her sideways like she was into some bullshit like she just went around hopping from one nigga to the next when that was far from the truth. She knew that people always had shit to say and she was just hoping that Dave's parents weren't those type of people.

"Ma I'm nervous too but it is what it is. We're gonna put out positive vibes and at the end of the day if it goes bad it's not the end of the world and they aren't going to disown me" he smiled and silently prayed that it all went well. He didn't need her stressing and he didn't want any problems in their relationship when they didn't have any. Shit they had just got over all the Millie and Hazel bullshit and were finally just living their lives without the extra drama in it and he wanted to keep it that way.

"Positive vibes" April repeated and nodded.

"Bet now come on I done seen Lil Butt in the window bout three times now" he said and chuckled happy that Kairi was there so the conversation about the baby couldn't go too far left.

April smiled. "Can't keep my Love Bug waiting so let's go"

Dave hopped out of the truck, closed his door, and went to open the door for April grabbing the cake tray out of her lap.  He had told her that she didn't need to bring anything but she didn't want to come empty handed so she made dessert. Once she was out of the truck he closed the door behind her, locked it, and they made their way up the few steps that led to the front door. Since Dave had a set of keys of his own he unlocked the door and let them inside. As soon as the door opened you could smell the food from the door and the sound of old skool music playing. It reminded them both of Sunday dinners at home and weekends where they spent cleaning the house alongside their parents.

"DADDY MOMMA" Kairi shouted as they heard her little feet pitter pattering their way towards them.

"Kairi Chanel if you don't stop that running" Mama Faye shouted stopping her.

Dave and April laughed as they took off their coats and boots in the mudroom and headed straight for the living room. Senior was in there cooling watching TV and drinking a beer.