Chapter 20

"Now I know you're not a fairy tale
And dreams were meant for sleeping
And wishes on a star
Just don't come true

'Cause now even I can tell
That I confused my feelings with the truth
Because I liked the view
When there was me and you

- "When There Was Me and You" by Vanessa Hudgens

Chapter 20

Morning arrived with a feeling of trepidation, and my mind whirled with the possibilities of everything that could go wrong. I thought Harald had taught me not to worry so much, but now he was the cause of my anxiety. Not that it was entirely his fault.

I found him gone and his boat missing. I remembered he said he wanted to test out his upgrades today, so I assured myself he would be back soon. I fetched Bolt and took a walk with him around the island.

When I returned to the base, Harald immediately met me with a distressed look. "Brennda!" he exclaimed. "I'm glad I caught you. Dragons need your help!"

My eyes widened in shock. Out of everything, this I had not expected. "What happened?"

"I'll explain when we reached the others. I asked them to meet in front of the stables. Come on!"

He did not have to ask me twice. We jogged to the stables where, sure enough, the riders were gathered with their dragons.

"Glad you're here, Brennda," Hiccup said. "What's this about, Harald?"

"I was exploring the seas on my ship when I spotted the dragon hunters in action," Harald said. "Those cowards have set up camp at Hobblegrunt Island once more! They seem to be gathering wounded dragons on that island. It looked like the poachers were away from the base, but they could return at any moment. If you hurry, you can rescue the dragons before they get back!"

"Ugh, dragon hunters," Hiccup groaned. "They won't beat me - I mean us - again! We need to go right away and save those dragons before they return."

I nodded. "Right!"

"If time is of essence, friends, I'd only hold you back," Harald said. "I can't ride dragons like you fine lot. I should stay behind on this one."

I stared at him. Something bugged me about the way he spoke, but I could not put my finger on it. There was something... off. Yet his words themselves were completely consistent with what I knew about him. Maybe I was just being paranoid after last night.

"That makes sense," Hiccup said. "You've helped enough by finding this place, Harald. Thanks to you, we'll be able to pull one over on the dragon hunters this time!"

Harald smiled. "Well, I do what little I can to help. But what am I jabbering on for? Now hurry! Go to Hubblegrunt Island!"

While everyone mounted, I continued to watch Harald. That smile... It wasn't real. My eyebrows knit together in confusion. But I had no time to consider it. I turned to Bolt to climb on board.

"Brennda?"

He caught my wrist, and looked back to see him looking at me with a much less composed expression. His eyes bore into mind like he was trying to send a silent message. Despite the fact that her proclaimed he would be the one to leave me, his eyes seemed to beg me not to leave him. Something was very wrong.

"Be safe," he said at last. He let go of my wrist, but I still stood there staring at him.

"Brennda, aren't you coming?" Hiccup said from behind me. "We need you."

Every instinct told me I should stay with Harald... that he needed me more. But I could find no reasonable explanation for my strange feelings, and I trusted my mind above all else. So, I gave Harald a smile and then mounted my dragon. I was really losing it. Perhaps this mission would help set me straight.