Chapter 14

"And at last I see the light
And it's like the fog has lifted
And at last I see the light
And it's like the sky is new

And it's warm and real and bright
And the world has somehow shifted
All at once, everything looks different
Now that I see you

- "I See the Light" - from Tangled

Chapter 14

"I assume you've made your verdict?" Astrid said as we entered the stables to feed our dragons.

I gave her a funny look. "Verdict?" I held up a bucket of fish to Bolt, and the Skrill eagerly buried his face in it.

Astrid raised her eyebrows. "You're spending the day with Harald, right? Have you made up your mind about him?"

I stared at her, trying to jog my memory. I came up with a blank. "What was I supposed to be doing again?"

Astrid groaned. "Brennda! You're supposed to find out what he's up to! We both thought he was hiding something, didn't we?"

I blinked. "Oh, right." I had completely forgotten about that. Once I started, each interaction with Harald fueled the next, and I lost sight of my original purpose.

Astrid held her bucket up to Stormfly. "So, what did you find out?"

My conversation with Harald the previous night flashed through my mind. I had found out the answers I wanted. I just thought the answers were too personal to share with my friend. "He's... not up to anything. It was his over-confidence I found odd, but I think he just needs a friend."

Astrid seemed to consider this. She did not appear convinced, but she did not push the point. "You do not believe he's a danger to us?"

I lowered the fish barrel once Bolt finished and set it off to the side. "Not from what I've seen. What could he really do, anyway? We've got seven riders and six dragons, and he's just one Viking. I'd say we have the advantage. He's the one who's had to trust us."

"True. He's have to be pretty dumb to try anything."

I smiled. "Exactly."

"Now that that's taken care of..." Astrid crossed her arms and smirked. "You really do like him, don't you?"

I flushed. "I, uh, like him as a friend. That's it."

"If you say so..."

"Good morning, lassies!" Harald strolled into the stables with Leopold perched on his left shoulder.

"Good morning, Harald," Astrid said. "We were just talking about you."

I shot her a look.

"Really?" Harald said with a smirk. "All good things, I hope?"

"No, Astrid was just giving me advice on how to properly intimidate you," I said.

Harald laughed. "Still on that? I'm afraid that ship has sailed, mate." He turned to Bolt and smiled at him. "Hello, mighty Skrill." He lifted his hand, and Bolt lowered his head so he could pet him.

I had to smile at their interaction. Bolt did not warm up that much to just anyone, and that was reason enough for me to trust Harald.

"Well, you two have fun today," Astrid said.

"Thank you, Astrid," said Harald. "We will report our success at the day's end."

Astrid gave me one last teasing smirk as Bolt and I followed Harald outside. Why did she have to put such thoughts in my head? I did not like him. I had no time for silly notions like romance.