Chapter 9

"All I know is we said hello
So dust off your highest hopes
All I know is pouring rain
And everything has changed

All I know is a newfound grace
All my days, I'll know your face
All I know since yesterday
Is everything has changed

- "Everything Has Changed" by Taylor Swift

Chapter 9

I held my head high as I walked straight to Harald and Hiccup. It was time to gain control of the situation. Harald kept his eyes on me with that look of his while Hiccup appeared completely oblivious to everything.

"Brennda, why don't you show Harald around the island?" Hiccup said pleasantly.

I smirked. "I was just thinking the same thing. And what better way to see the island than from the air? Bolt!" The Skrill immediately rushed to my side.

Hiccup's smile fell. "I don't think that's such a good idea, Brennda. He's never rode a dragon before, and a Skrill is not the easiest dragon to start with."

Harald attempted to retain his confident facade as he eyed Bolt, but some wariness crept in. "Not that I don't appreciate your offer..."

I put on my disappointed face. "Oh, I thought you were a 'master of adventure,' but I guess there are some things even too difficult for you."

Harald faltered for half a second. "I did not say it would be too difficult. It's just-"

"You don't trust me?" I feigned offense.

"It's not you I don't trust." His gaze flickered to Bolt.

I crossed my arms. "If you don't trust my dragon, you don't trust me."

"Brennda, be reasonable," Hiccup said.

"No, let her keep going," Astrid said as she stopped beside him. She appeared highly amused at the scene. "I want to see what happens."

"In case you've forgotten," I continued, "you're the stranger here. Trust is required for us to let you stay here, and if you want us to trust you, then you need to trust us. And if I'm difficult to win over, Bolt here is even more so. I don't have time to play games. Let's figure this out now."

Understanding flashed in his eyes, and he smirked. "So, that's what you're getting at. Very well."

"Harald, you don't have to do this," Hiccup said uneasily. "Brennda is not in charge of trust tests."

"Oh, yes, she is," Astrid said, earning a sharp look from her companion.

I shrugged. "Well, if he's too afraid..."

"I am not afraid," Harald said sharply. "Tell me how I should acquaintance myself with your mighty beast."

I smiled. Everything was going according to plan. "Look him in the eyes and speak to him. Tell him why he should let you on his back."

Harald walked right up to Bolt and stared at him. The Skrill tensed but made no aggressive movements. "Hello... Bolt. You have nothing to fear from Harald. I mean you and your rider no harm." 

The two of them stared at each other for a minute, neither of them flinching. Finally, Bolt made a grunting sound and visibly relaxed.

"Good, now you can touch him," I said brightly.

Harald shot me an inquisitive look.

"Brennda," said Hiccup, "will you help him, please?"

I sighed. "Fine." I wanted to see him struggle a bit more, but I supposed it was better to move this along. I approached Harald just after he removed his glove. I took his right hand in mine, feeling startled at its warmth. I froze when I realized just how close we were standing together. I could feel the heat from his body next to me, and it was not altogether unpleasant.