'Hey!' he cried.

'Mr West, leave your obsession with Miss Jones at the door, please,' Fawkes joked and everybody laughed.

'I didn't even do anything,' Brodie mumbled, sinking in his chair.

I glanced at him with a smirk as Fawkes continued and he scowled at me, making me press my lips together to hold back my laughter.

'The Lais of Marie De France!' Fawkes called. 'A collection of poems from the 12th century that I'm not expecting a lot of you to have encountered so we will look into it in a little further detail. Mr West, anything you can tell me about it as you sulk like a child in your chair?'

Everyone chuckled again and I stifled a little laugh although I was feeling bad now that I had made him a target. Brodie and I were always finding ways to get one over on each other in this class and currently, I was now winning.

'Can you tell me the name of one of these poems?' Fawkes asked him.

I quickly grabbed my pen, trying to be as subtle as possible as I scribbled one down and slid my notebook over to him. His eyes flickered down to it and he sat up straight, looking back to Fawkes.

'Guigemar,' he answered.

'Thank you for that,' Fawkes replied, strolling onwards across the front of the room as he spoke. 'A knight with no interest in love until he is cursed and unable to ever heal until he finds a woman to fall in love with.'

'Lame,' Brodie said in a screechy, humorous tone, making the class laugh once again.

'You know where the door is, Mr West,' Fawkes said. 'I'm surprised you're aware of this poem at all if you find it so lame.'

'I just meant the guy not having interest in love,' he said. 'Then being cursed until he finds it is pretty cliche in my opinion.'

'So which poem would you say is your favourite?' Fawkes asked, making Brodie shift a little and I picked up my pen slowly to help him out. 'How about you tell me yourself without reading an answer that Miss Jones scribbled down for you?'

I dropped my pen and sunk back in my chair as Fawkes stared at Brodie with a raised brow and Brodie let out a chuckle.

'Sorry, Professor,' Brodie said.

'The next strike is the final one, Mr West,' he said. 'So, why don't you tell us about another one, Miss Jones.'

I sighed as I was forced to once again look like a complete know it all in front of the whole class but it wasn't my fault my knowledge had proven to be way ahead of most of my peers. 'Umm...La Fresne; which tells of a young twin girl that is given away by her mother as she is fearful that she'll be scorned for giving birth to twins.'

'Thank you,' he said, turning his attention to the board behind him where he wrote the name down and elaborated to the class.

I glanced at Brodie and we smirked at each other, amused by our little game taking a slightly extreme step in this class compared to when we usually just argue a point one of us has made and then punch each other under the table.

Class finally ended and Brodie and I were in fits of laughter as we left, receiving a disapproving look from Fawkes as we did so and we headed out of Hamilton onto campus.

'He's such an asshole,' Brodie said.

'I think he's great,' I said.

'Because you're his favourite student,' Brodie teased. 'Whenever nobody knows something he just comes right to you.'

'Then maybe you should expand on your literature a little,' I told him with a grin.

'No thanks,' he said.