19. Bethan

The next week passed by smoothly and Cal and I were as great as ever. It was like we were back to our first week in New York; it was almost like a honeymoon period all over again. I went to college everyday and came home after shortly followed by Cal and we spent our nights together watching movies, eating takeout and fooling around. When the weekend came, Cal stuck to his promise of dropping the weekends and we spent it out and about in New York, including visiting Central Park which I'd wanted to take him to since we'd moved here.

I'd planned to keep my distance from Brodie but he appeared to be absent from our Medieval English classes all week so I didn't have to worry about seeing him. We had made amends and he'd taken me out and shown me the ropes of driving again and we'd laughed and joked like old times, however, I'd been mad at Cal at the time so that was the whole reason I'd felt no guilt about spending time with Brodie. Now that Cal and I were perfect again, I felt uneasy about being friends with him. I didn't want to give him any further reason to think he had a chance with me and risk fucking things up again.

As Monday came around again, I felt like normality had finally returned and I was back on campus drinking coffee with my friends.

'So, my ex-roomie came back for the rest of her stuff and we got in a huge fight!' Penny was telling Georgie and I as we sat together in the coffee house.

'Was that the last of her stuff?' I asked her.

'Yeah, she won't be back,' Penny breathed as she took a sip of her drink.

'Why did you fight?' I asked.

'She called me a stuck up bitch,' Penny told us. 'Only because she pissed me off all the time with her loudness and all of her friends coming in at all hours and all these guys turning up with her every weekend. I mean it was ridiculous; so I complained and that somehow makes me a stuck up bitch.'

'You should have punched her in the tit,' Georgie said. 'That's what I would have done.'

'Of course you would have,' I chuckled.

'At least she won't be back,' he said. 'You have a dorm to yourself, you can't complain about that.'

'Oh, for sure,' she said, smiling cutely. 'I love it.'

I smiled as I admired the way her little nose wrinkled when she smiled like that. She was so adorable.

'So, Bethan, I was meaning to ask you,' Georgie said, turning to me. 'Do you think Cal would do a tattoo on me?'

'Okay, first of all.' I held up my finger to show my seriousness. 'Is this a genuine question or are you planning to throw a dirty remark next?'

'It's a genuine question!' he replied, holding his palm to his chest dramatically as if I'd insulted him.

'What do you want?' Penny asked him.

'Melpomene and Thalia,' he said.

'The theatre masks,' I said with a nod. 'That's cool; I like it.'

'What the fuck is Melomene and Thalia?' Penny asked.

'Melpomene,' I chuckled. 'They're masks that symbolise opposing themes in theatre. Melpomene is the muse of tragedy whilst Thalia is the muse of comedy; in simpler terms, two masks - happy and sad.'

'Oh, that's so cool!' Penny said.

'I'm sure he would do a great job for you,' I told him. 'If you're serious about it then we can go down to his shop and see what he can do?'

'Go to his shop; I would love to!' Georgie exclaimed. 'Can we go after college today?'

'Umm...I don't know,' I chuckled, awkwardly, wondering if Cal might be mad at me for just turning up.