twenty-eight (edited)

___

"Yeah, she is. No, everything's...yes. That's not a problem. Okay. Thank you. Bye."

Dylan looked down at Astrid who was still sitting on the floor of the kitchen. He leaned against the doorframe.

"Your dad's coming to pick you up." he said.

She nodded, staring down at her fingers. "I should get changed."

Dylan nodded too, glancing at the brown blood stains on her sleeves. She picked herself up and wrapped her arms around Dylan's shoulders. He hugged her back. Seconds passed and she wouldn't let go. Dylan chuckled.

"Go shower. You stink."

She poked her tongue at him before disappearing into the bathroom.

Dylan ran upstairs and chucked a handful of clothes into the bathroom, where water was running and Astrid thanked him through the shower curtain.

As he wandered away, he remembered the little box he had snatched from Astrid's hands the night before. He quickly made his way to the living room, where they had slept. The box was lying on the ground, nearly flattened. Dylan picked it up.

It was a box of cigarettes, the plastic packaging ripped, but still in tact. It was clear that it had been opened in a hurry. Inside, half – perhaps even more – of the cigarettes were gone. 

As he disposed of the cigarette pack, Minho paced into the kitchen, pressing his phone between his ear and his shoulder. It was like Dylan was invisible as Minho poured himself a glass of water. It sounded like he was speaking to someone important.

"Yes please. No. I don't...but he said to call him? That would be great, but I'd prefer if you'd just...Yes. No. No I don't have – please. Can't I...."

There was a long pause.

"Okay. Minho Kim. Yes. Thank you."

The call ended and he began muttering about 'stupid receptionist people' under his breath.  He turned to face Dylan, drinking his water.

"Who was that?" Dylan asked, drumming his fingers on the kitchen island.

"No one."

"Was that someone important?"

Minho shook his head. "Don't worry about it."

As he walked out the door, he stopped and turned.

"Also, forget about your shift on Monday. I'll take it."

Dylan scoffed. "Do you like working?"

"Not necessarily!" Minho called as he fled to his room again.

__

 "Your shirt is too big."

"Just be grateful that I'm actually lending you my superman shirt."

"Superman sucks."

"So do you."

Astrid ignored his comment and zipped up her overnight bag. There was unusual silence throughout the house. Minho was in his room instead of playing video games and the air was heavy from last night's events. Despite the heaviness, Dylan managed to make his girlfriend smile a few times, which made him happy.

Astrid's phone suddenly buzzed. She glanced at it briefly and then swung the bag over her shoulder.

"Dad's here." she said.

The two went down the stairs – Astrid briefly saying goodbye to Minho through the door – and went outside. A large car was parked next to Dylan's in the driveway. Simon sat inside and smiled upon seeing the two. Astrid opened the door and waved.

"Hi Dad."

"Astrid. Hello Dylan." he greeted.

Dylan nodded. "Hi"

"I still need to take you two out for dinner." he said, leaning over the passenger seat. "I haven't even bonded with your boyfriend."

Astrid shook her head. "You're not cool at all, Dad." 

Simon merely shrugged. "I'm sure we have something in common. Do you like any sports Dylan?"

"Huge Mets fan"

"Great. We shall discuss offseason trades over dinner soon."

Dylan grinned. "Sounds great."

"Please speak English." Astrid said, though her smile ruined the sarcasm.

Dylan pulled her into a hug and kissed her hair. She held him tight, both of them not wanting to let go. Simon made no input.

"I'll send you the funeral invitation." she whispered. as she – finally – climbed into the car.

He nodded and mouthed love you as the car disappeared.