XXVII - The Life Onwards: College Days

June came and Aunt Brenda looked at me one evening. It was the first day of the month and class will start in just two weeks. We had so much fun in spending Summer with them and we also had fun in wasting the time with lots of movies and other stuff. We also took the time by going on a mall around DC and we also have time in rooming around DC.

Then I decided to make my life in private now. I and Aunt Brenda decided to go and live with the apartment she just bought for me and go private this time. I was old enough to make myself alone and I wasn't not that good in bond with anyone else. So I, Aunt Brenda and the twins took my bags to the garage and took me to my apartment.

While driving, I'm looking at the houses each time we pass one. The neighborhood is a bit odd with their light-colored walls and red-painted roof tiles and they're good in standing with their unique architectural insights. Aunt Brenda took me to my apartment at AVA H Street Apartments, where Aunt Brenda took me and my cousins last April.

When we reach the AVA H Street Apartments, I Aunt Brenda and my cousins walked out from the car and took my bags. We head inside the building and Aunt Brenda immediately head to the counter desk to get the apartment keys for my apartment. When we got to the apartment I chose last April with my heavy bags, Aunt Brenda turned around and faced me.

"So, Alex," she said, giving me the apartment key. "this is your key of your apartment."

I took the keys from Aunt Brenda and looked into it. The key has gold plating, around itself, has a key ring with a print of Room #601 on a little polished rectangular wood. I put the key on my right pocket and put my baggage on the closet. Then I walked back to the living room, where my Aunt Brenda and my cousins, and smiled at them.

"Thanks, Aunt Brenda, for giving me this apartment." I happily said at Aunt Brenda. "I promise I'll never let you down."

Aunt Brenda looked at me while getting something from her pocket. Then she gave it to me and I took it. She gave a brown envelope with lid, not evenly closed. I opened the envelope and looked into and noticed their bundles of American dollar bills. I took the cash from the envelope and counted it's almost $15,000. So I looked at Aunt Brenda with surprised face.

"Aunt Brenda," I said. "you didn't have to give me this as an opening gift. I can manage to work for my tuition fee."

Aunt Brenda looked at me and smiled. "Keep it." she said back. "Use it as your first week here. You can use it as your pay for the rent and also you tuition fee. Don't bother yourself in getting a job for the pay for all your expense. I'll send you money every month."

"Oh, Aunt Brenda!" I said. "You really love me, don't you? How much did you spend for your daughters?"

"Fifty, I guess." she replied. "So the big chunk is for me, huh."

Aunt Brenda didn't answer to my reaction but, instead, a smile. Then she remembered something.

"Oh, yeah." she remembered. "We also buy you a bicycle so you don't bother yourself in getting a ride. You know how to ride a bicycle, right?"

"Yes. Father taught me how to ride a bike when I was ten."

Aunt Brenda looked at Linda and the twins and smiled.

"Kids," she said at them. "Alex and I will buy his bicycle. Please stay here and watch Alex's apartment while we're out."

Linda and the twins looked at us and smiled.

"Yes, Mom!" they all said back.

Aunt Brenda looked at me. "Let's go, Alex." she said at me. "We don't have all day."