THIRTY ONE

UNCERTAINTY
.

In medical psychology, there is a discussion referred to as the person-situation debate. Can behaviour be better predicted by knowing the person, or the situation- and which holds the most weight?

If Sadie had to predict the behaviour of Steve Rogers after the events in Vienna, she could make a fair guess based on both the person and situation. He wouldn't follow her advice, she knew it. He wouldn't stay in London and he wouldn't stay out of it.

It didn't mean she was any less angry to be flown to Berlin because Captain America and the Falcon were out playing street past curfew.

"Warmer than jail," she heard Tony call as she rounded a corner past the meeting rooms.

"Where are they?" Sadie asked him and Natasha as they passed each other, but she didn't slow down the speed of her swift walk.

"Down the hall," Tony said, and Sadie walked faster until soon enough, she spotted Steve and Sam, stood by the doorway, as if they'd done nothing wrong. "Be gentle!"

"Gentle my ass," she murmured, coming to a full stop before the two soldiers. "You want to explain?"

There was no answer at that, which only made Sadie's blood boil even more at their unapologetic expressions.

"I told you to stay in London," she reminded Steve, who only shrugged.

"I wasn't in London," he replied, nonchalantly. She shook her head, and turned to glare at Sam, next.

"You couldn't talk some sense into this idiot?" she snapped, and Sam raised his hands in defeat. "You just join in his antics?"

"If you're going to blame anyone, blame me," Steve said, before Sam could speak, and it was a knee jerk reaction to whirl on him.

"Oh," Sadie laughed, cold and bitter as she crossed her arms. "Oh, I'm blaming you, alright. This way."

She turned to lead them down the corridors to the office that that was equating their cell. Sadie didn't walk any slower either, barking at the men to keep up as their pace relaxed, and she could hear their low mumblings.

"You're in deeper shit than me."

"I'm not."

"You are, man. Your girl's about to beat your ass-"

"Sam," Sadie snapped, as she came to an abrupt halt at the office. "Trust me when I say, I'd be beating the crap out of the pair of you if it was allowed. In fact, I think there'd be a whole line of people waiting for their turn. But for now, we gotta make do with the naughty step."

The two of them hesitated by the door she held open, Steve scanning the room as if there was something that might be hiding behind the entirely transparent glass. Losing her patience, Sadie prompted him into the room with a sharp jab between his shoulder blades, and he took the cue to enter, Sam hot on his heels.

"Let me explain how this works," Sadie started, as they took their seats at the table. "You don't leave this room. You don't speak or signal to anyone outside of this room. There's audio-visual surveillance here, so don't bother chatting up a plan to get out, they're going to split you up soon anyway. Any attempt to leave will only put you somewhere even more secure."

"Would you get in our way if we tried to go?" Steve asked, his eye contact near uncomfortable. It was a loaded question, and it made her the bad guy.

"Yes," Sadie said, firmly. "Lucky, though, isn't it? Since you're not going anywhere."

"Not without my wings," Sam grumbled, and she raised an eyebrow.