THIRTY

**double update, read TWENTY-NINE first**

FREE THOUGHT
.

"You wanna know something, baby?"
A nod was all he could manage.
"Something I noticed... 'bout you. How- how good you are."
"How good I am?"
"You wanna know, baby?"
"Mm-" Focus. "Tell me."
"There's a real fine line between yourself and the Captain."

Focusing was too easy after hearing that.

The exchange had taken place the night before Lagos. Two nights ago, to be precise. It was supposed to be validating, Steve knew it because Sadie only ever praised him in affection, despite his near wordless approach.

But she'd said it regardless, and the words stuck with him. He hesitated, and she'd stroked his hair, assured him that she liked it when he 'took charge'. Another word choice that didn't sit all that well with Steve. He'd pushed it aside anyway, because she made him desperate, and he loved it.

As soon as it was over, her words were all he could think about.

It was okay. They were still new, still discovering what they liked and disliked about one another, although there was very little of the latter. Steve would be anything Sadie wanted him to be behind closed doors and in the open. He'd play whatever role satisfied her. He loved to take care of her, to see her relaxed, undone. He'd give her everything he had, all parts of him. Strength and softness and care in every sense. It seemed strength was what she wanted most in those moments they were connected.

It was okay. Steve just didn't want that to spill into all parts of their lives. Didn't want her to think he was 'taking charge' when she didn't want him to, or suddenly start to see him as 'the Captain' more than himself.

With all that was going on with the aftermath of Lagos, it took everything in him to hold back from rushing to her, trying to gauge where her thoughts lay. It took everything to ask if Sadie- Aceso, he should say, at work- was going to sign.

After Ross's visit, Steve had told the team to all have a think about the Accords on their own, read over the thing, before they shared premature opinions. The group needed time, for free thinking, and for those who had gotten back from Lagos, for recovery too.

Truth was, he needed time just as much as they all did, and he didn't trust himself to speak just yet. So he'd locked himself away from everyone for the night, even Sadie when she'd invited him to her room, as hard as it was.

Steve's every instinct was telling him no, this arrangement was a terrible idea. And he thought it over in circles in his own mind, trying to get to the bottom of it all, why he felt so averse to even the idea of the Accords.

But the more Steve read, the more he disagreed. If the Accords were to only police the Avengers, maybe he could face up to it. But this went so much further than just their organisation.

And he wouldn't have everything they'd built be corrupted this way.

So hours before the team reconvened, Steve was decided. It took everything in him not to tell Sadie he'd stand against the Accords, too. He didn't want to sway her, didn't want to 'take charge'. Not in this.

This was free thought.

"I'm in two minds about it all," Sadie said. She was one of the first to speak, and even as she did, it was like she was still thinking it all through. "I think our approach has been flawed. Majorly flawed. We have to face up to it. And I think this all could've been avoided if we had some sort of panel to answer to- before we did this."