TWENTY TWO

VENTURE
.

Sadie shouldn't have been so nervous. It was a routine mission, and she'd successfully taken part in many just like it over the last two months. But this time, when she'd read the brief, it was different.

This had children involved.

"Otto Vermis," Steve explained again, when they all stood on the Quinjet, the plane set to autopilot. He pulled up a projection of the man's image- a cold, cruel looking man with deep lines in his face and a monocle Sadie doubted was for vision purposes. "Known high-ranking member of HYDRA. Rumour has it he's taken up philanthropy, opened an orphanage outside the city of Florence."

"That's a hell of a career change," Sam said, sounding like this was his first time hearing any of it.

It probably was, Sadie thought, since Sam never read the briefs. Instead, he just turned up with his wings and managed to get through it all on a moment's notice. Sadie was slightly jealous- when it came to this sort of thing, she had to study. She didn't have that self assured ease that came with experience on hundreds of combat missions. So to emulate it, she studied every target, risk assessed for every possible outcome, memorised the facts and the figures and the witness statements.

"All the kids have one thing in common," Sadie said. "They're all enhanced in one way or another. And their parents have all died recently, in car accidents, or of rare diseases- some of which, I gotta mention, aren't even known to exist in Italy. So these deaths are all likely to be murders, and if they are...It's safe to say Vermis is behind it all."

"How many kids?" Sam asked. "What are their ages?"

"Seventeen kids, all between the ages of five to eighteen, a mix of genders. It's going to be a tight squeeze in here on the way out," Natasha answered. "Seriously, Sam, will you ever read what I send you?"

"My brain is like a sponge, Widow, I can soak up info like that," Sam said, snapping his fingers confidently. "You only gotta tell me all this once."

"Vermis is wanted for questioning by the Italian Army," Steve spoke up, again. "We've agreed to hand him over to them when we finish, but they're going to have to keep us updated."

"If HYDRA could get into SHIELD then they can get into the Italian Forces," Wanda pointed out. "Especially considering the history of it all."

"We've requested the CIA send in some double agents, make sure Vermis doesn't get out of this scot-free," Natasha said. She paused, adding hesitantly: "We've done our best."

Natasha didn't mention the elephant in the room. It was a well-known fact, at this point, that with the criticisms of the Avengers' operation in Sokovia, there was a constant struggle now to get foreign affairs in order. Europe in particular, didn't completely trust them. Sadie couldn't blame anyone for that. She turned the topic back to what's important.

"We know that these children are facing abuse- mentally, emotionally and physically," Sadie said. "They're being trained up to be HYDRA's new wave of weaponry. But it's more than likely they've been brainwashed into their agenda, especially the younger ones. They might not want to leave."

"Which is why the two of you," Steve said, gesturing to Wanda and Sadie. "Will be handling the evacuation. We want to make this as gentle as possible, so try to convince them verbally first. Sadie, you're gonna heal up anyone who needs it. And last resort-"

"I use my power to make the children leave," Wanda said. "Like we did in Sokovia."

"Just like that," Steve confirmed. "Me, Sam and Nat will bring in Vermis."