15. Cafe au Lait

1 5 .

cafe au lait

"ASPEN?"

I turned, meeting the wide blue eyes of Sebastian Georges.

It had been two days since that humiliating incident on the soccer fields. When I'd woken up in the library, Isaac had stayed behind, skipping class while I shuffled to English.

We quickly returned to our routine of not speaking to each other.

I was beginning to become used to it.

That didn't stop me from staring longingly at him in the halls like an absolute creep. Could you blame me? He was like a Greek God, with his tousled dark hair and glowing tanned skin. His leather jacket reminded me of the smell of his cologne.

My heart raced at the mere thought of him.

I blinked, forcing myself to focus on the blond mess of curls in front of me. He stood over me as I sat in my usual corner of the art room. His brow slightly arched and his lips pressed in an awkward, querying smile.

"Sebastian," I finally sputtered, eyes wide.

"I'm sorry," he gushed before I could say anything more. "I was stupid the other day. I shouldn't have pressured you like that in front of everyone. That's on me."

My expression softened into a small smile. He stared down at me, his eyes sorry and his mouth tugged into a frown.

I turned to face the ground.

"It's fine, really," I replied timidly. "Don't worry about it."

Sebastian's face broke into a grin of relief and he slid into the seat beside me.

"Thank God, I was scared you hated me now."

I laughed quietly and jokingly said, "Don't test me, though."

"Do you want to pair up again, today?" He asked with a grin, already opening his sketchbook as if expecting me to say yes.

It wasn't like I had a choice. I had no one else to partner up with in this class. I was always the odd one out.

I opened my mouth to reply when a voice interrupted me.

"She already agreed to pair with me."

I turned to meet the green eyes of none other than Isaac Hensick.

I hadn't seen him at lunch last period and definitely didn't expect him to turn up to class. I hated the way my heart hiccupped at his voice. He stood beside me, watching Sebastian with a clenched jaw and narrowed eyes.

Sebastian raised his brows. "When?"

"Does it matter?" Isaac spat, his gaze hardening.

Sebastian's eyes widened and he stood from his seat. "Shit, Isaac. Okay, fine."

His gaze turned to me and he sent me a lopsided grin. "See ya, Aspen."

He gathered his belongings and turned to leave, his friends quickly shouting after him on the other side of the classroom. I watched as Sebastian paired with another boy before returning my focus to Isaac.

Isaac's eyes trained on me as he sat beside me, pulling out his sketchpad as Ms Laney blabbered on about our instructions for the day.

We were silent for a minute. Today's activity entailed sketching a still life, with each pair using a different prop. In front of us rested a basket of fake apples.