10 - FORMER GLORY

Start from the beginning

"I shall hold you to the vow," Odin replied, and what he said caused her stomach churn. Skadi hoped she wouldn't disappoint him again. She knew he wouldn't take mercy on her twice. "Now the matter of Asgard. What you did has affected our realm. Fixing the damage must be done with extreme caution to keep our realm intact. It is something the Horae cannot will away, but something that you alone must do, Skadi."

"Your Majesty, forgive me, but have we not already discussed that I am not well trained with my powers yet? I have no control over them. How am I supposed to correct what I have done? What if, somehow, I make everything worse?"

"With guidance from the Horae, you will control your power, Skadi." Before she could say anything else, Odin rose from his throne and descended the few steps. He paused near Skadi and rested a palm upon her shoulder. "I have faith in you, just as I had faith in your mother." He then gestured for the room to follow him, "Come, let's all take a walk."

Silence settled over them as everybody turned to accompany their king out of the throne room. Skadi's strides were slow, as she wondered where Odin was guiding them. A hand touched the small of her back and when she glanced up from the floor, she found her father had matched her pace at her side. His eyes bled with love and it made her heart swell knowing that he wasn't ashamed or disappointed after what she did.

"I know you think I am disappointed in you and ashamed for tarnishing your mother's rule, but you are mistaken." Ullr's voice was loud enough for only his daughter to hear. "You can never disappoint me, Skadi. Please, Gods, never run away again. I cannot bear to lose you as I already have your mother."

Skadi slowed until coming to a full stop, not caring that Odin was still leading everyone down the corridor. That didn't matter to her anymore, only her father did. Her eyes filled with tears upon his tender words and she launched herself into his arms, sinking her face into his tunic. "I love you."

Ullr's heart soared. "I love you, more than you will ever know. And I'm sorry for everything."

Someone cleared their throat, forcing them to separate. They turned to face their queen and found Frigga wearing a gentle smile. "Forgive me for interrupting a tender moment, but my husband is awaiting you both on the balcony. It's best to not keep him waiting."

"No, no we mustn't," Ullr agreed. "Come along now."

Skadi followed Frigga down a few corridors, passing a few guards and maidens on the way, until they arrived on a balcony that overlooked all of Asgard. Odin and the Horae were waiting for her, while the rest of them ─ Thor, Loki, Sif and a few kings guards ─ stood idly by. Ullr joined them, and Skadi met Loki's gaze as she passed by him. He offered her a small smile to which she nervously returned with one of her own, before coming to a stop near Odin and the Horae.

Ostara was the one to step forward. Skadi noted how different the woman looked now that she could get a good look at her. Without the sunlight reflecting off her fair skin and golden hair, everything just seemed wrong. She looked sick. Like someone had drained her of her powers. The woman no longer resembled the Goddess of Summer that she knew, and Skadi knew it was her fault. What she did hadn't only affected Asgard, but the Horae, too, it seemed.

"Are you ready, my dear?" Ostara asked.

Skadi knew she didn't have a choice. She nodded her head, saying, "Yes."

"Come."

The winter goddess stared at her outstretched hand with hesitance. She didn't want to harm Ostara like she Loki, but after a moment, she took the risk anyhow. And Ostara smiled at her, something to show Skadi that she was okay and that she wouldn't harm her. That she was the one in control and not her powers.