Klaus

AN: No flashbacks in this chapter. But Italics means its a dream.Also, Happy New Year! Sorry for the long wait but I've been super busy with the holidays! I hope you enjoy this chapter! 

Mystic Falls April 2010 

Klaus watched Grace sleep in Alaric's bed. He himself was still inside Alaric's body, but he still had some of his vampire ability. Such as the ability to enter people's minds. He was going to get to the bottom of this. He would usually ask Grace's permission before entering her mind but he needed to know answers to his questions. He didn't care for plesentaries. He wanted to know why his wife faked her death almost 20 years ago.
Grace had been in a deep sleep for a couple of days now which meant the Vervain was out of her system. Her mind could no longer fight his. He wondered what had started her to drink the stuff. What pain was so bad that drinking Vervain would stop it? He climbed into the bed next to her and closed his eyes. 

It was back in New York. She was dreaming about the day she died. Or at least the day he thought she had died. He too often dreamt of this day. Klaus looked down at Grace. In her dream she was asleep. Or at least pretending to sleep. Klaus moved slightly to become more comfortable but Grace just pulled him closer to her. She said something but he didn't quite catch what. He found himself wrapping his own arms around her subconsciously. She gave a contented sigh. Klaus had to stop himself getting caught in the moment. He was here for answers. Not live in a fantasy world. Although, seeing Grace sleeping and wanting nothing more than hold him close... Maybe he could give himself a few minutes to pretend. 

"What time is it?" She asked. She nuzzled her face into his neck. She reached up her arm and put her hand in his hair. She played with the small curls at the base of his neck.
"Time doesn't matter love. We have all the time in the world." She nodded in agreement. There was a knock on the door. She sat up with a start.

"He's here. He's going to kill me!" She panicked. Klaus sat up with her. He looked at the door.
"Who is it?" Klaus asked. Grace couldn't keep her eyes off the door. She didn't look at him once. The sun outside got darker. The weather grew harsher. The knock grew louder. Klaus could even feel gravity get heavier. His heart fell into his stomach. 
"The same person it is every night." Grace said almost in a trance like state. "He kills me every night. Why would tonight be any different?" Klaus put his hands on her shoulders. She still didn't look at him. He rubbed her shoulders.
"He won't get in tonight. I won't let him." Klaus reassured. "Nothing is going to hurt you ever again. You have my word. Come, let's leave this place." And darkness surrounded them. Grace was slightly confused. That was never how her dreams ended... unless. 

Grace knew this had to be a dream. Nothing seemed real. Not the sights. Not the smells. It was all fake to her. All she had dreamt about for the past 16 years was Mikael trying to kill her. Sometimes Klaus saved her and sometimes he didn't. This dream however wasn't that. 

She was in New York. Central Park to be more specific. She remembered it from when she lived there. But, she didn't remember this exactly. There was a band playing music. She got closer to them. While it was different men playing the instruments, there was no denying it was the same music she and Klaus had danced to the day they got married. 

Then she saw him. Stood on a bridge. He looked nervous. But he looked perfect. He was in a suit. The sun shone on his face. Each ray of light made him look like an angel. But he was nervous. Behind his cool face she could see him playing with his own fingers. He never liked to make his true feelings known, but she knew him. He was nervous about something. 
"Klaus!" She shouted to him. He didn't hear her. She shouted his name again but he didn't respond. She tried to run to him but no matter how fast she ran she remained in the same spot. Glued. She began to panic. Why couldn't she reach him? 
"I don't understand." She mumbled to herself.