Rose

New Orleans April 1865

Once nightfall had arrived over New Orleans, Grace rushed out of her bedroom. During the day she couldn't leave the house. She burnt in the sun. So her lessons with Klaus occurred during the night. She had been practising a phrase in french all day. She wanted to let him know she had been trying.
She heard the familiar footsteps of Klaus and Elijah. She jumped over the steps and landed in front of them with a graceful smile. She proceeded to say the phrase in french. When she was finished she grinned at her accomplishment. Klaus stood there in silence. She could tell he was fighting a smile. Elijah on the other hand began to grin. He was too far polite to point out her mistake however.

"What?" Grace said in annoyance at the two brother's reaction.  
"Nothing love. Other than you mispronounced a few words and said something rather foolish." Klaus said, his own smile coming through his neutral face.
"Not everyone can learn french overnight you know." Grace argued.
"You're right dear Grace! Of course you can not." Elijah pretended to agree. "You've have a whole month." He had come to enjoy the presence of Rebekah's ward. Not only did she help Rebekah readjust to society after being daggered for such a long time but she also had a passion to learn new things. Something he could admire. He smiled at her as he walked away. Grace frowned.
"Don't worry." Klaus said putting a hand on her shoulder. "You'll get the hang of it sooner or later." he lead her into a more quiet room. "Now lets work on those pronunciations."

---------------

"Sit still." Klaus ordered for the 4th time in less than ten minutes. He was currently painting Grace. He had been shocked to learn that she had never had her portrait painted before.
"I am sitting still." Grace argued. "Maybe your eyes are playing tricks."
"My eyes are perfect." Klaus countered.
"I don't know..." Grace winced. "After all of these years they might be failing you."
"If you don't stop pulling that face, I'll just have to paint it on you." Klaus warned. Grace continued to wince. Klaus sighed putting down his paint but not his brush.
"What are you doing?" Grace said with worry backing up slightly. Klaus loomed ever closer to her.
"I did warn you." He pointed out. Grace screamed playfully as Klaus put a large spot of paint on her face. 
Rebekah walked in and sighed at what she saw. 
"May I remind you, Grace and I are going out tonight. So if you two could stop messing about." 
"Sorry Rebekah." Grace mumbled sitting back on her seat. 
"And do not forget to wipe that paint off your face. I'd hate to be the talk of the town for the wrong reasons."       

Rebekah walked out of the room furious. He was doing it again. He always took people from Rebekah. He killed her suitors and now he was taking her best friend. He was always so scared that Rebekah would choose someone else over him. The worst part was, Grace seemed to be enjoying it. She enjoyed being showered in nice things. She couldn't let Grace fall into the trap. Klaus was just being selfish like usual and Grace was being pulled along. She couldn't let her best friends heart get broken by Klaus like her own had been so many times. 

Mystic Falls March 2010

Grace winced and gritted her teeth. Her head was pounding. She could feel her wrists bound behind her back.
"What did you do to her?" A female voice said in the darkness.
"She kept waking up. I had to give her like 6 doses of vervain."
"Trevor!" The female scolded. Grace groaned again.
"Should I give her another one?" The voice who must have been Trevor asked. This caused the female voice to tut in annoyance. 
"No!" Grace was thankful for that. Her body couldn't handle another one. A tolerance could only go so far. Her stomach was on fire. 

"Grace." A voice whispered beside her ear. Although it felt like the voice was screaming at her. This must be what a human hang over felt like. Grace opened her eyes. They were in an abandoned house. Elena was next to her but she wasn't bound. But the blood from the previous nights events still stained her clothes. "Oh thank god you are awake."
"I wish I wasn't." Grace honestly replied. "Where are we?"
"I don't know. But this has something to do with Katherine." Elena helped Grace sit up. Her head was spinning.