Maybe we can be whole

New Orleans Summer 1865 

"Oh my God Klaus. Its beautiful." Grace said with a grin. She was looking at the ring Klaus had just given her. It was golden ring which looked like interwoven leaves with two simple blue stones as the centerpiece. 
"This ring will allow you to walk in the sun like we do." Klaus told her. 
"Walk in the sun?" Grace repeated for clarification. 
"Indeed. We can't have you stuck inside when its summer outside. It would be a crime to deny you a New Orleans summer. Winter is beautiful but summer. They write songs about that." 
"Oh thank you Klaus." Grace said putting the ring on her middle finger. Klaus noted that she still wore her wedding ring too. 
"Please." Klaus said changing the subject in his mind. "I'd like to think over these past months we have become close enough for you to call me Nik." Klaus said with a smile. 
"In that case, you can call me Gracie. My brot... people used to call me that." She stood up and slowly opened the closed curtains. At first she winced in anticipation at the pain but it didn't come. All she felt was warmth on her skin. She squealed in delight. 
"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" She repeated over and over. She couldn't help but hug Klaus in happiness. 

Little did they know that the other two Mikaelson siblings were watching the interaction. 
"He does this everytime Elijah." Rebekah complained. "Grace was my friend. I saved her!"
"When was the last time you saw our brother smile? That is of course except when he is forcing pain upon to others." Rebekah glared at her brother. "Grace might be good for him." 
"You said that about Marcell and right now all I see are two Klauses. Who is to say Klaus is what is good for Grace?" 
"We can guide her towards restraint. And you can't blame Marcel for the unfortunate event of your daggering." 
"I can blame Marcell for how long I was daggered for. He had the key to save me and he kept it in my chest. Grace was supposed to be mine!" 
"Maybe if you stopped viewing her as a possession and as a living being then maybe you wouldn't have to worry about her picking our brother over you." Elijah pointed out. Rebekah rolled her eyes. 
"Look at her Elijah!" She pointed at Grace who was still grinning ear to ear. "She has already chosen. Even if she does not know it yet." 

Mystic Falls March 2010

"Question time!" Damon clasped his hands together and acted like he was on a game show. "Big prizes for the best answers." Grace threw her head back. 
"Damon I have answered all of your questions." She groaned. 
"Yes, but that was before your brother in law tried to kill me with pennies." Grace shrugged. 
"I did warn you." Damon, the previous day had gone looking for information and instead was attacked by Elijah. 

"Question one!" He continued, ignoring her. Grace looked to the other people in the room for help, but they wanted answers just as much as Damon did. Even Rose was there. For some reason her kidnapper was sleeping with Damon. "Why is the Doppleganger, in this case, Elena, important to the sun and the moon curse?"
"Because. Doppelgangers are naturally recurring supernatural creatures. Their blood is far more powerful than just ordinary blood. It was doppelganger blood that created the curse and it has to be the same blood to break the curse." 
"Pesky witches and their rules. Question two! What else is needed to break the curse?" 
"A wolf and a vampire oh and a witch to do the actual spell. While The Original family used to be witches before they turned they can no longer so magic themselves." 
"Question three! Why are you so sure we will all die if we destroy the stone?"
"Katherine was the last doppelganger, as you know. She turned herself into a vampire. Vampire blood is useless to the spell. Klaus killed her entire family for it. Or at least what he thought was her entire family. Elena is living proof that one escaped."
"Question four. Why did you marry that maniac?"

Rose put her hand up. "I second that question." She said with a straight face. 
"You shouldn't even be here or know who I am. If you tell anyone... I will rip your tongue out and force you to eat it."
"Oh my gosh you sound just like him. Threatening first and answering questions later. I should have known the first time we spoke."
"The first time we spoke?You mean when you kidnapped me? Or when you almost killed me? Are we forgetting that happened? Did Elijah kill your friend and leave you with no one? We don't run a charity. Go bother someone else."
"You little bit-" Damon put his hand over Rose's mouth.
"Okay, question time is over! It's been ruined." He glared at his sister as he lead Rose out of the room. 
----------