18 | too many faces

Start from the beginning

"I'll try" Rhena smile deflated, and she sniffed "I love you, Care"

"And I love you, Rheny"

Not waiting for another response, the two hang up. Rhena exhaled and let out a small smile. She began to feel better, and nothing made her happier. She held her necklace against her fingers, twirling it around. Without noticing, the pendant began to change color, but she couldn't see it, not yet.

"Rhena!"

She turned around and saw Tyler waving her down, so she exhaled once again and jogged towards the two boys.

Rhena always hated that time of the year, the month were she was supposed to act grateful and smile. The time where her siblings and her pretended to be feel proud of the heritage they had in town, due to them having ancestors on the Founders.

It was clear (at least to them), that they didn't belong with the rest of the founding families. While they were involve and followed traditions, the Bekkers remained private and kept to themselves, something they had done for centuries. It was better that way, the least the people knew about their business, the better.

She entered the Founder's Hall, feeling uncomfortable already. Although she did not want to be there, she still went on with it. Something had to change in order for her to take things back to normal, so she tried. She was going to make everything possible to get better, not only for the people that loved her, but for herself. Whatever it was that was happening to her, she could endure it.

With a smile towards her siblings, she went on to find her friends. Perhaps if she approached them, she could start conversation instead of wanting to get out of the building.

The rooms were crowded, and she could feel every single around her. It felt heavy. But that didn't stop her, she encouraged herself to take another step, then another and another. Next thing she knew, she was already deep into the room.

People were drinking and having conversations, but she didn't know anyone. A few familiar faces, but nothing that stood out from the crowd. She exhaled and continued walking, that easy until she had to stop. Right on time, she managed not to fall and the other managed to keep their balance.

Rhena looked up, ready to apologize, only to be greeted with the wide smile of a Stefan Salvatore. She was confused for a second, his whole demeanor was different, even the light in his eyes seem like a whole another person.

    "Hey, Rhena, you look good, new dress?" he grinned at her, looking at her before taking a sip from his drink. She opened her mouth to response but no words came out, she was taken back "what? cat got your tongue?"

    "I,-no" she frowned lightly, raising her brow "are you okay?"

    "You know what? I'm fantastic, actually, how are you? Keep having headaches? I know they're a bitch to deal with" he shrugged carelessly and waited eagerly for her response.

    She was about to say the usual lie, but something about his aura felt different, causing her to think twice about her response. He seemed more loosen up and happy, and that meant he must had been having a good time after dealing with something heavy. She was glad he was doing good, and that motivated her to continue to try doing good too.

    "I'm getting better, thank you" she smiled lightly and nodded, watching how his smile was wide.

    He leaned his glass towards her, asking if she wanted to have a sip, but she shook her head. He shrugged and chugged what was left of it. After finishing, he exhaled freshly and smiled again.