The Letter | Arthur Fleck

You and Arthur have been dating a year, and you usually came to visit him, but that day he was coming late due to work.

You decided to help Arthur's mother, Penny, since he was work. You had an idea to go over to the kitchen and make a meal for Arthur and his mother.

"Y/n dear can you help me with something please?" Penny asked

"Of course" I replied as I made my way towards her bedroom.

She was sitting on the desk, starring down at an empty sheet of lined paper with only a pen in her hand

"What do you need help with?"

"Can you write this letter for me please, I can't move my fingers that well, every time I get down to writing my hand just begins to shake everywhere, it's like it had a life of its own"

I giggled

"Don't worry I'll help you"

I sat on the chair next to her and had received the pen from Penny

"I'll tell you what to write"

"Okay" I smiled

"Write dear"

I nodded and wrote dear

"Change it to dearest"

"Alright"

"Now write Thomas"

"Okay I've written Dearest Thomas"

"Now next write there is a definite possibility that I will die soon as I have been very sick lately. It is for this reason that I am writing you another letter now"

"W-What do you mean?" I gasped

"Honey I'll explain this just write this down"

I nodded my head and wrote exactly how she demanded me too.

"Write this, as you well know I love you very much. Over the past seven months I've sent you dozens of letters in the faint hope that you would get back to me. I honestly did not wish to bother you over the years because I know how much pain and suffering our love has caused for both of us."

I was curious but I respected that she wanted to explain herself after this

"Next write, I realise this might open me up to ridicule but I need your help. Your son and I need your help"

I frowned in confusion, I looked over at Penny

"S-son?"

"Y/n I'll explain it to you later" she sighed

I nodded

"Next, I'll admit to you that the reason I'm asking is because my living conditions are so dire and I have no insurance or opportunities for any future."

I continued hitting that down too

"Thomas, you are the only hope for me and your son. Arthur is a good boy. Maybe a little sad, but a good boy none the less. I think you would be proud of the job I've done with him, and how happy he is most of the time.

"And Thomas, I'm asking you to please look into your good heart and at least give us something so we can better our station, and become the kind of people you could love and respect. I love you forever, Penny Fleck"

Finished.

I wrote that all down word by word and handed it to Penny Fleck.

She folded it neatly and thanked me as she placed it into the envelope