40

"Jace!" I skid to a stop on the roof as I had run after him, holding onto my kindjals tightly.

Jace's head snapped toward me, and growled at me when he saw me, his teeth gritted.

Jace threw a punch at me, as I quickly dodged it, using whatever training he had taught me to the best of my knowledge.

Except, despite that, Jace had knocked my kindjals out of my hands within seconds, leaving me defenseless.

"Jace." I began, dodging his fist, "This isn't you."

Jace ignores me and lands one right on my face twice, catching me off guard and grabbing me by my neck.

I choked out a breath, as he tightened his grip and held me over the ledge.

"Jace- I know you won't kill me." My voice was barely there, my hands on his wrist, "I know it."

Jace stares into my eyes, as my voice cut out when I began running out of air, "Jace- I love you."

"I don't love you." Jace pulled me closer, our faces inched apart, "Not anymore."

Then, he dropped me off the ledge.

-

My own blood.

It felt like I was drowning in it.

My teeth were stained, and so was my skin.

My clothes were drenched, and so was my hair.

I felt numb.

And pain only struck when I moved.

"Look, Young, it's a bad time." Simon's voice filled my bloody phone that I struggled to hold against my ear, "Can I call you back?"

"Simon." I could barely speak.

By my breathing, Simon knew something was wrong, "Zee?"

I whispered, "Simon."

"Are you okay?" Simon questioned, concern filling his tone, "What's wrong?"

"I can't move." I staggered out, choking on my own blood at this point.

Simon quickly asked, "Where are you?"

I forced myself to turn my head and look at the signs, "Near Crosby and Grand."

"I'll be right there." Simon replied, as the phone slipped from my hands, my body limping.

Simon skidded to a stop next to me a few seconds later and grabbed my hand, his eyes wide at my appearance, "Zee-"

I exhale slowly, staring at my best friend.

"It's gonna be okay-" Simon assures me, looking at what had become of me, "Who did this to you?"

-

"Jace is the Owl?" Isabelle questioned as we stood in the Ops Center, "How is that even possible?"

Clary placed a hand on my back as I had just changed and gotten out of the infirmary, "You okay?"

I nodded softly, Alec staring ahead, "This whole time, it wasn't his mental health. He was possessed-"

"By an extremely powerful Greater Demon, who gave him the ability to turn mundanes into demonic killers." Magnus finished his sentence.

"We've defeated Greater Demons before." Alec inhales sharply, "We'll do it again and free Jace."

"This is not just any Greater Demon." Magnus told him, "Zee was able to draw an image of the beast, and it matches this image from the Silent City archives."