Chapter 53: Sun Rui's First Life

Start from the beginning

To think that I had been merciful to a white-eyed wolf.

He had led my brother into the throne room and presented me as a sacrifice showing his loyalty.

Had I not been slightly suspicious, my life would have ended at that moment.

Wounding my elder brother, I made my escape.

Even if I had to lose an arm or leg, I would escape today and plot my revenge.

Anger raged and coursed through my veins as I swiftly moved to a secret corridor.

But before I could turn into the room, someone grabbed me.

And I turned to my find myself staring into the clear eyes of Sun Su Chen.

She grabbed me before I could release myself and warily gestured with her eyes into the room.

Behind the secret door, something seemed to glint.

I paled.

To think that Eunuch De would release information on the secret corridor to my elder brother.

Clenching my teeth, my anger had receded but despair and frustration grew.

Su Chen looked at my trembling hands and stubborn eyes.

Then she clutched my palm tightly. 

She held onto my hand and we retreated quietly.

From that moment, I had the most bewildering experience.

Su Chen gently and calmly brought me to her chambers through a secret pathway unknown to even myself.

And as we hid there, I heard the roars of a battalion appearing.

With a stunned expression, I sat beside a serebe Su Chen at the tea table, drinking tea and having snacks.

The roars subsided and the clashing of weapons finally halted.

My stunned eyes turned to look at Su Chen who gave me a small smile as she sipped her tea.

From that moment, I felt something hit me deep inside.

She held my hand and calmly led me back to the throne room.

"Pardon the disturbance."

I was left baffled, sitting on the throne with my body nicely bandaged up and wounds from the skirmish hidden under resplendent golden robes.

A bright and young Eunuch stood reliably where Eunuch De once stood.

Noticing my glance, he bowed his head further and kept his respectful appearance. I seemed to recognise him as part of the Emperor's entourage.

Squinting my eye in suspicion, the Eunuch bowed and passed a scroll. On it detailed the First Prince's plan to rebel and the plans to counterattack.

Even more baffled, my eyes practically derobed the eunuch before me. Feeling discomfort, he squirmed minutely and finally responded.

"May your majesty forgive my rude interjection. The plans are written by the Empress as one of the countermeasures to the possible occurences in the palace."

Stunned to silence, I stood staring blankly at the wall.

After a long while, when another eunuch arrived to bring a soup for healing, I was startled from my reverie.

My voice was hoarse and scratchy.

I cleared my throat before asking again.

"When?"

"I beg your pardon your majesty?"

Again, I cleared my throat.

"When did the Empress planned this?"

The eunuch bowed deeper.

"May your majesty quell your anger. The Empress only had your esteemed self in her mind."

"I asked 'WHEN'?!"

The eunuch bowed lower, as if to kowtow.

"Your Majesty. Please quell your anger. The Empress had planned for any eventualities since she met the Empress (Dowager)." (A/N: so around the time she started meeting the Empress formally as her daughter-in-law).

Now truly bewildered, I dismissed everybody.

Was I angry at the fact that I was even played by my wife? That I, this assured Emperor, was like a puppet playing in the various scenarios she had preempted?

I, the noble and wise Emperor, hung by the strings of a foolish person I had ignored all this while?

A foolish person who is now revealing her wiles and scheming heart?

Am I feeling betrayed?

I touched my heart. A deep throbbing of that organ seemed to reverbrate in my chest.

My eyes seem to prickle with... warmth.

Or perhaps it was my whole body that seemed to warm up.

I was quiet and still.

All the way till the throne room's door opened and a small figure entered.

"Your Majesty, I heard you were feeling unwell."

A worried tone that seemed to tickle my soul.

She was...

Not truly a beauty.

Nor someone unique.

But for the first time in my life, my heart.... No... My being. My entire being felt full at the sight of the figure before me.

She gracefully entered, still as unremarkable as before, but the world seemed to change in her presence.

She shined.

She smiled at me as I looked back at her.

For once in my life, I finally understood what it meant to be supported.

---------------------

A/N: What Su Chen was throwing was not bread.

It is okara. Or soybean pulp. It's the remaining smashes pulp left after grinding the soybeans into soymilk. Some people don't use it in recipes but it is very rich in nutrients albiet a bit bland! I believe there are Japanese recipes on how to use okara to make yummy food.

Su Chen noticed the wastage while managing the inner palace kitchens and thought it was a pity to throw it away. Hence, she made it her new hobby to throw okara to the kois in the ponds/lakes. The kois grew really fat and healthy after that.

Also, does this make you feel that Sun Rui is a tiny bit more likeable?