Chapter 21: Fear

Thank you so much dcmapsortega and Callela for the votes as well as MAnonymus18 for adding this story to your reading list.

To be honest, I was quite down and discouraged in writing this story but felt better and more encouraged when I woke up seeing all the kind support for Ten Months On! Thank you :)

For Chapter 21 onwards, there won't be anymore daily releases. Releases for new chapters would be on Wed and Fri.

----------------------

Su Chen felt a strike of fear in the depths of her wretched heart. A sudden fear that ignited like a spark, but flickered away almost immediately that she was not too sure if she had felt the emotion or not.

It was ironic that she felt safe in the pervert's strong arms, despite him embracing her tightly to the point it almost felt like he was suffocating in fear that she might suddenly vanish. She had to reluctantly admit that she felt relief so strong at his arrival, it washed over her like waves and made her heart tremble, a feeling she was slightly fearful of.

Over the months, she had convinced herself of her independence as a person. She had pushed herself beyond what society dictated a woman could do, and was proud of her achievements and progress. She was no longer bound to the rules that dictated her behaviour, words, personality and talents. No longer bound to the farce of a loving family. No longer needed to consider her husband's reactions and words to her. She was free to be who she wanted to be.

Yet it was not enough.

She was still weak. Mentally and physically.

She gripped his robe a little which made the tall handsome man who held her close to him looked down in concern.

When Shen Yi noticed the blue black bruise forming on her delicate wrists, his eyes darkened further.

Murderous aura and a pressure so strong slammed into the two thugs before them, making them fall into the ground, their faces heavily slamming into the pool of sweat and blood on the floor as they trembled at a fate worse than death.

"To think that you dare to hurt this little one. You. Really. Are courting death."

Without a sound, figures in black appeared from the shadows and carted the two struggling figures out as Shen Yi quietly brought Su Chen away in his arms, gripping her body like a delicate treasure.

***

Shen Yi gently laid Su Chen on the bed and started gently kissing the bruises on her wrists.

Slowly and unhurriedly, he placed a heartfelt kiss on every mark on the wrist before him, his heart surprisingly feeling pained as he wiped a cooling ointment on the wrists at the same time.

As his lips travel upwards, Shen Yi took the chance to gently kiss Su Chen's tears that had dripped down without her knowing.

"You fool," he murmured into her ear, his deep timbre and warm breath tickled her and made her tremble.

"What were you doing wandering around alone? If I knew you would attract bees and pests even dressed as a boy, I would have brought you along with me." His tone was angry as he clutched her closer to him.

Su Chen's tears continued to roll down but her grip on him tightened ever so slightly, her head burrowing slightly into the warm chest before her.

Shen Yi sighed at her silence as he held her, inhaling into the fragrant hair below him.

"You don't need to worry about Jun Qiang. Despite his looks, Jun Qiang is an accomplished assasin in the sect. You really are... Too brave for someone your height."

Shen Yi started laughing as Su Chen immediately glared at him and tried to push him off.

This girl really. Just really makes him want to tease her.

He heard from Yuan how Su Chen felt inferior about her average looks, but Shen Yi felt that it was Su Chen who was really blind.

Those sparkling wide eyes, the pearly white teeth, the smooth tofu skin, that tested his self-control in not touching more than what she could bear. Her soft fragrant body that never failed to arouse him below and made him feel torture, a torture he never knew could exist. Her long thick jet black hair that coiled around her, like thick unshakeable chains that had captured his cold unmovable heart. Her twinkling laughter that had reverberated over the months with her, shook him. Her mischevious smile. Her serious look when she worked so tirelessly. Really, everything about her caught his fancy.

He never really thought of a woman so seriously before but Su Chen wasn't just a woman to him. She was Su Chen, so uniquely stubborn despite having so many weaknesses.

He really has fallen into her trap.

"Chen'er, do you still not trust me?"

Shen Yi asked quietly as he stared at her confused eyes.

He chuckled, his eyes dark and propped himself to allow him to look at her seriously, and her to comfortably look at him in the face, a lazy smile languishing on his face.

"Sun Su Chen, how many more secrets are you hiding from me?"

And Su Chen's eyes widened at his words.