Chapter 3: The Contract (2)

In the first draft of the contract, Su Chen was to be divorced immediately. She would be gifted a residence in South Rain, servants and money.

Su Chen had rallied against the contract. She had not planned for this.

Why didn't Sun Rui request for a change in fiancee before they had married if he did not like her? She was sure her father would allow for such a thing since Su Li was her father's favourite child.

But she realised that the biggest opposition to Sun Rui's plan was his Imperial Parents. Sun Rui could not back out from an Imperial edict. Nor would his Imperial Mother allow it, for she truly was fond of Su Chen's mother.

But if Su Chen herself wanted out, he could still be fulfilling the decree and escape his Mother's wrath.

However, to be divorced in only a few days of marriage would be detrimental for both their reputations.

Hence, the contract was redrafted. 10 months of fake marriage. No bed obligations. Money, a Residence and Servants were still part of the separation package.

Why 10 months? Queried the anxious angry prince. 10 more months of separation from his Su Li. He was not pleased.

Su Chen reasoned out that with 10 months, it was reasonable enough to seek a divorce using her lack of children as a valid reason. From there, Su Li would not bear the brunt of being a temptress, but as a saviour, to replace Su Chen who lacked the ability to give birth to an official offspring.

Furthermore, 10 months later was the annual Autumn Tournament. It would be the best time to distract the rest about their divorce as everyone's focus would be on the country's annual Fight tournament.

With such convincing reasons, Rui Wang agreed.

10 months. 10 months she had set for herself to win his heart.