Chapter 8: The End of the Contract

"Su Chen. You will leave by the end of the week."

"I know, Rui Wang."

Su Chen stared at Sun Rui blankly before looking down.

Sun Rui stared at her impassively, searching for any hints of rebellion. Any hints that she might change her mind.

"I have arranged for a carriage to bring you and some servants there to South Rain. I have prepared some money, more than what we have agreed on earlier as repayment for your good work as Wang Fei. A residence is prepared for you. It is not as big as this Wang's residence but it should be enough for you."

Su Chen stared once more, with no hints of emotions in her eyes.

"Here. Sign."

Taking the brush in hand, Su Chen signed her name on the divorce papers.

It took a whole day for her to get married. The hours long preparation and the hours long procession. Yet, it only took a few seconds to no longer be tied together with each other.

"I will take my leave now."

As she turned her back to him and walked out, she heard a soft mutter.

"I'm sorry I could not love you."

By the end of the week, Su Chen left with Yuan and surprisingly, Steward Mo and a few other servants opted to follow her.

Many in the capital were shocked to hear that Ninth Prince and his Princess Consort had divorced. Rather than heading back to her maiden home, the former Princess Consort had declared her intention to reside at a residence in South Rain to pray for the wellbeing of the Emperor and the Imperial Family.

It was even more shocking when news spread around in the next few days that the carriage the former Princess Consort was in had collapsed and fell into the ravine on the way to South Rain. No news of her nor her entourage being alive were heard.

But in a few days' time, news of the missing Former Princess Consort were forgotten when the first representatives of the countries arrived upon the shores of Da Li for the Autumn Tournament.