Neo - The Least I Could Do

It's been two years since the treaty with the machines was signed, and a year since we've all been relocated back up the the surface. Soon after the relocation, the surface was flooded with humans coming out of the matrix, and the job to clear the sky quickly became popular.

       However, my job was to help to try and nurse the ground to allow for crops to be able to grow once again. It was not an easy task at all and barely anyone enjoyed it at all, but someone had to do it.

     Every day was almost the same. Wake up, go to work, make little to no progress after hours and hours of work, go home, eat, sleep, and then repeat the process. However, today seemed off. The sky actually seemed clearer, the ground actually was softer than the previous day, and when I reached to open my door; it was already unlocked.

     I felt the hairs on my arms stand up as I slowly pushed the doors open. Crime wasn't a big thing right now due to everyone having the common goal of just trying to make the surface rehabitable, but that didn't make me the least bit relaxed with this. Someone was in my house. Someone had unlocked my door, and came into my home.

     I quietly walked in, not fully closing the door behind me just in case I needed a way out. I slowly made my way through the house, looking behind every corner to make sure that no one was hiding there. Then, I finally got the the living room and the sight nearly made me fall over.

     There was a man standing in my living room.

     A man I had only seen once before.

     Neo was standing in my living room.

     Neo spoke softly but didn't turn to fully face me, "I fought them right here you know. I died right in this spot. Well, almost died." Neo now turned to face me, giving me a small smile. "I see everyone made it out okay in the time it took for me to recover."

     All I could do was just nod. Our savior was standing right in my home. I cleared my throat and tried to form a sentence in my head before speaking, "You've been gone for so long.. we all thought you were dead.." His eyes stared straight into mine and I only managed to hold his gaze for a few seconds.

     "I know, and I honestly don't blame any of you. For the longest time I thought I was dead myself. Do you mind if I sit?" I just shook my head no. He took a seat and patted the spot next to him, to which I slowly walked over and sat down there. "So much has changed in such a short period of time. We fought for years to just be able to have an opportunity to live on the surface." He sniffled and a few years began to fall down his cheeks. "We suffered for years. We sacrificed almost all we had." Neo let out a shaky breath before wiping his eyes. "It's incredible."

     I could only just sit there. I was still in a bit of shock, but mostly just in awe at this point. This man saved the entire human race. "This wouldn't have been possible without you, or the people who helped you. We still wake up in amazement, you know? We still can't believe this is all real." I sighed and smiled a little, "You guys have dome so much for us, and we try every day to not let a single second go to waste for your hard work."

     Neo placed his hand on mine and I quickly looked up at him, he smiled at me. "You guys are doing amazing. When I first came up to the surface..." He paused. I knew that he couldn't describe it in a way I would understand, because he saw it differently than the rest of us, and it externally showed by the bandages that covered his eyes.

     "I bet that it was something more than I could ever imagine." That's all I could offer to him. I looked up at the clock hanging on my wall and saw that it was nearly close to 9:00 at night. "Neo, if I may call you that, it's getting late, but you're more than welcome to stay here for however long you'd like."

     Neo patted my hand, "If it wouldn't be an intrusion. Although, I do think it's a tad bit late for that." We both chuckled and I got up to lead him around the house. Every apartment was small, no one had a full house yet because there was simply no room or resources for them right now.

     After giving him the short tour, I gave him some old clothes from a friend I used to live with before he moved out, and then got myself ready for bed as well.

     We talked for a few hours more in the living room before going to bed though. He told me about the first day he was woken out of the matrix, and the struggles of those who helped him. By the time he finished, we were both ready for bed. "Thank you so much..."

    "(Y/N). And don't mention it. Honestly, it's the very least I could do for you Neo." I slowly made my way to my room, turning back to see Neo enter his. Holy crap, this was definitely not a normal day. I think I need to get my locks changed tomorrow as well. I smiled to myself before entering my room, leaving the door a little open just in case Neo needed anything.