The Woods.

CIA:

My parents and I moved to Sandalwoods when I was five so I don't remember many things from back then. I was really young so it's to be expected. However one thing that happened that night and I will remember to the day I die is the accident we had on our way here.

  It was late and we were on our way to our future home. We were passing through the woods near the town, next to the mountain, when we saw it. The creature that was bound to haunt my dreams and nightmares for the next 2 years of my life. It was huge... Standing on two feet and looking at us... It had horns like a deer, the head of a bear and the legs of a wolf... It's blood red eyes looking straight back at mine, exploring the depths of my mind.

A sudden familiarity hit me as I saw its form clearer when the light of the moon surrounded it like a velvet blanket discriminating it from the endless darkness around it. I wasn't given time to think though as my father turned right to avoid that thing and we crashed into some trees.

  A strong crash was heard when the front of the car came in contact with them. But I didn't hear it. A calm and assuring voice filled my ears.

"Everything will be okay. Do not feel afraid my child as the spirits of the forest are by your side. Now, welcome back" and everything went black. The locals told us that someone who was passing by saw us and took us with him. There are times though that I wonder, what would have happened if no one was around? The memory gaps that I still have from that night don't really help too. I guess some things are better left alone.

I haven't heard that voice again after the car crash. My parents didn't believe me when I told them about it. They just turned to me and said something like "What? Oh, no Cia, don't worry. No voice was heard. You must be mistaken" Well who cares anyway. What matters to me us that both my parents were ok. My mother had a broken arm and my father had hit his head at the steering wheel but other than that they were fine. I had broken a rib but I was not in danger, said the doctors in the hospital.

  We were told by the locals that what we met was a Wendigo. Wendigos are creatures that stand on two feet like humans and consist of animal body parts. They can have the body of a deer and the head of a wolf but their paws will be bear like. Kind of like Chimeras. Those things have been lurking around the town, hiding in the woods, waiting for any unlucky passer-by to cross paths with. When this happens they will devour the person and leave nothing but bones...

 When this happens they will devour the person and leave nothing but bones

I now am 15 and like to roam around the small woods behind my house. My parents( Andrew and Tera) say that it's fine as long as the sun is still up. I still am not allowed to go too deep in the forest even when it is day time. There have been more sightings of Wendigos around the town but no casualties were made. At least not human casualties. Many pet dogs and cats have been found killed near the forest. As well as deers, farm animals and even bears.

  The government refused to acknowledge the problem until the Coppervale accident. Coppervale was a small village isolated at the top of a mountain. In a night all of its inhabitants were slathered...
Only then did they decide to take action. Live Wendigos are said to have been taken into special labs called "WGARE". It is pronounced as Gar and means Wendigo Gathering Area for Research and Experiments.

Newly developed technology has been found that can actually make the Wendigos obey commands and avoid conflict with humans. It is not complete so it's not available for the public. It is still uncertain if the wendigo can escape the control of the machine and go on a killing spree.

  Anyway for now, my life is all about school and my little "outings" at the small woods behind my house. Who knows... I may find something interesting there some day...