And she meant it. She didn't get to see her brother or her older sister very often. Danny lived a state away, and Rachelle and her wife, Claire, had moved to the east coast three years ago to be closer to Claire's parents. Every Christmas though, the Salera siblings were reunited.

Danny got up from her bed and wandered around the room, poking at things. He had never been very good at sitting still. "I'm surprised you're even awake at this hour." He picked up a university catalog from her desk and flipped through the pages.

Jasmina checked the time on her phone. "It's 11 AM. Why wouldn't I be awake?"

"You're twenty years old, and it's a Saturday," he said, looking up from the book. "You should be hungover or something."

"I can't even legally drink yet."

"And? Never stopped me."

She picked up a decorative pillow and threw it at his head. It missed him by a good foot and bounced harmlessly off her bookshelf. "Not all of us are you."

"A tragedy," he deadpanned. "You still thinking about going for music?" He flashed the catalog at her, where she'd marked the page for the music program.

"It's only been my dream for forever. I'm waiting to hear about a scholarship, and then I was planning to apply for a transfer in the spring, so I can start next fall."

He nodded. "Cool. What happens if you don't get the scholarship? Are you still going to apply or look at other schools?"

Jasmina shook her head. "I don't think that's something I need to worry about. There's no reason I wouldn't get it. I fit all the requirements and wrote an amazing essay. I've already scheduled an audition for that program." She lifted her chin, gesturing to the catalog in his hands.

Danny frowned. "Not to rain on your parade or anything, but isn't that like counting your chickens before they've hatched?"

Jasmina snorted. "Any other expressions you want to throw in there? Maybe a 'don't put all your eggs in one basket' to go with those chickens?"

"You know what I mean."

"Don't worry about it." She waved a hand at him. "It will be fine. I should find out any day now."

"If you say so," he glanced down at the catalog again, "but don't forget there's more than one way to skin a cat."

Jasmina made a face. "That's gross."

"Sorry, couldn't resist one more. All I'm saying is don't forget there's more than one way to achieve your dreams."

"Okay mom," she said exaggeratedly, rolling her eyes. "Did you come back early to lecture me?"

"No." He put the catalog back on her desk. "I'm doing my job as your older wiser extremely handsome brother."

"Then, as your little sister, let me do my job and tell you, you should maybe see someone about that ego of yours. It seems to have become over-inflated."

He scooped up the pillow from the floor and tossed it back at her. Unlike her, his aim was decent, and she had to put her hands up to keep from being hit in the face.

Jasmina stuck her tongue out at him. "That's no way to treat your favorite sister."

He smirked. "I never said you were my favorite."

"We all know I am, but anyway," she said, "back to you worrying about me. In case you forgot, I'm the responsible sibling. I have a plan, remember? Live at home to save money while going to community college for my first two years, and then transfer with a scholarship to minimize my debt when I graduate. I have no reason to believe it won't work out exactly as planned."