Adara

MASON'S POV

     "Kira, take deep breaths in and out... I still feel as if we should proceed straight to the c-section," the masked doctor said. I barely heard him though. I was focused on Kira and the baby's auras. 

     Kira's aura flickered precariously. The heart monitor was racing. Adara's aura was shining. I could taste fear in her using my spirit. She was just a baby, I had to remind myself. Not a monster. I wasn't a monster. We were Pure Dhampirs. That didn't make us bad. 

     "You said we could try it naturally!" Kira half screamed half moaned. Her husband, Brad, squeezed her hand. He looked scared shitless. I couldn't blame him. 

     I turned to look at Lissa who was standing a few steps away from the bed, along with Christian. Guardians on either side of them. Lissa had demanded they both be here despite the risk this new fire wielding baby would bring. I could see Lissa concentrating on Kira the same as I was. Christian looked ready to deal with any fire that came forth, though there hadn't been any yet. Kira had only been in labor for 2 hours though. 

     The doctor looked at his chart. "I know, Kira, and we are. Your fever's rising again though. Quickly." 

     Brad spoke up, "Kira, maybe we should skip ahead to the c-section. They just got your fever down 20 minutes ago... If it's already spiking..." 

     She shook her head. Boy she was stupidly stubborn. Like another girl I knew, one who I didn't need to think about right now. One with intense blue eyes that seem to dance with flames, and blonde hair I'd never be able to memorize the exact color of... And stubbornness that drove me batshit crazy. I pushed Prim out of my mind. Kira needed me. 

     I stepped forward from my spot on Kira's other side from Brad. She looked up at me with trust and fear. "Let's try this a bit longer. If Kira can push soon and we can speed the labor along there might not be a need for surgery... There hasn't been fire yet." 

     Kira's eyes glowed protectively. "Adara's on her best behavior today, she knows she has to be," Kira turned to Brad and kissed his cheek. "We'll both be fine. We'll be fine." 

     I knew she was trying to convince herself as much as she was trying to convince him and everyone else in that room. We knew Kira was at very high risk here. 

     Lissa smiled, her Queenly smile that I knew was bullshit most of the time. "Everyone, today is a scary day but it's also exciting. We've waiting years, and years, to start this. To allow Dhampirs to have children together. Kira is the first and she is paving the way for many. However frightened she is we commend her for her bravery. Today is a day for history."

     The other doctors and Guardians in the room muttered in aggreeance. The main doctor sighed. "Alright, more oxytocin I suppose then. Along with more intravenous ibuprofen for her fever. This is the last dose of it we can give her at this point... She'll burn through it so we have to be quick." 

     Doctors and nurse bustled in the room as they got to work. Kira was out in the stirrups, her legs up, and I felt oddly out of place and like I was intruding. Kira gripped Brad's hand in one of her hands and mine in the other. She stared at me with an intense gaze. "Watch her. Please, make sure she's alright." 

     I squeezed her hand back lightly. "I'm not going anywhere until she's out." 

     Kira shook her head weakly, which worried me. She was weak already and hadn't even started pushing yet. "I mean watch her if I don't make it." Beside her Brad took in a deep breath. 

     "Kira, you'll be fine," I said, though honestly I wasn't so sure. "Besides, Brad would never let anything happen to your guys' daughter."